35. Especially Compatible

But before I can even finish my sentence, the girl in front of me (or I guess, Sirius apparently) kicks me hard in the side and throws me a look. “Be quiet, you git!” he hisses under his breath.

“Ow!” I slap my hand over my leg and blurt out reflexively, “Geez, Sirius! What was that fo—”

“Alrighty then! Off to the Hospital Wing it is!” he remarks loudly, cutting me off again before hissing, “I’m Cecilia, remember, Sirius Black?” He grabs my arm and yanks me to my feet, surprisingly strong for someone in my dinky little body.

Wait, he just called me Sirius Black… right…?

I just scrunch my face up in confusion, still trying to process exactly what happened as my girl body drags me towards the classroom door.

“Oh, very well then,” calls Professor Flitwick from behind us. “Are you certain you don’t need anyone to escort you two, Miss Vance?”

“Er, no—” My voice cracks in a very awkward, very non-manly way. “I-I mean, I think we’re fi—”

“He’s talking to me, dummy,” Sirius interrupts before responding, “Nope, we got this, Professor. No worries!” He pauses. “Well, actually…” Sirius shoves me out into the hallway before running back through the doors.

I stumble out a few steps before stopping and then just stand there, my face slack in a daze. Why is this happening to me. Literally, like, why. WHY.

I hear the door open again behind me and then suddenly a body staggers into me, followed by a string of unsuppressed giggles. I turn to find James standing there, his hands over his stomach and doubled over in laughter.

My brows furrow. “Why’d you—”

“Just had to run back in to grab this git over here,” Sirius sighs before shutting the door behind him and folding his arms. “Right, well, spit it out, Prongs. Now what did you do?”

James opens his mouth to reply, but instead of any coherent words at all, another roar of laughter just spills out instead. He leans against the far wall, now positively crying with hysterics.

“Oh my god, you have got to be bloody kidding me.” Sirius lets his head fall back as he rolls his eyes in exasperation. “Get over yourself, mate!”

Seeing the image of Sirius’ usual facial expressions on my face and hearing the sound of his unique inflections in my voice is quite possibly one the most bizarre experiences I’ve ever had in my life.

Pushing the thought away hastily, I clear my throat and then ask, “Er, while we wait for James to stop dying, why don’t we actually go to Madam Pomfrey or Professor Flitwick and ask if they know what to do about this?”

Sirius lets his head fall forward again before raising an eyebrow at me. “Are you mental? We can’t just go bursting back into the classroom and telling Flitwick we spontaneously switched bodies! Plus, for all we know, this jinx might be completely illegal, which is entirely possible considering that, c’mon, this is us we’re talking about.”

There was a somewhat smug look on his face as he said this. Though since their habit of legally-questionable activities is what got us into this mess, I don’t know why he’s so proud…

“You seriously want Flitwick to know about something like this?” Sirius continues. “I mean, clearly we were paying attention in class, yeah?”

“Hold on…” I say slowly. “Did you say illegal? As in, possibly… unstable? Or possibly…” My voice cracks again and Sirius throws me a look for even making such a sound in his body. “What I’m saying is that it’s possible that we could be stuck in this mess for more than one day?”