Day 25

Though it is in the power of the weakest arm to take away life, it is not in the strongest to deprive us of death. | Thomas Browne

                I looked back at McKenzie as we were about 7 hours away from Winnipeg.

                That was the location of the safe place, the safe zone that could be my ending, the place that could stop my chance at living through this war.

                I looked as Minnesota was passing us by.

                I looked up at Morgan as he was driving.

                Something about them was off to me.

                Neither Matt nor Morgan wanted to talk to me and Morgan barely looked at me.

                I glanced back at McKenzie who was asleep next to me.

                I looked back out the window as I rested my head against the window and closed my eyes.

                “Make sure she doesn’t get out.” Johanna shouted back at me.

                I looked back at her, “Johanna that is me!”

                Johanna glanced back at me.

                “Why am I in here, how am I in there?”

                Johanna walked over to me. “That is you fighting. That is you fighting this disease. Lauren, look at it and fight it.”

                I looked back at her.

                “You can do this Lauren.”

                I opened my eyes when I heard Morgan, “We are gonna take a break and find some more gas.”

                I looked back at McKenzie as she was already gone with Matt.

                I looked up at Morgan, “I guess I'm with you.”

                Morgan nodded his head as we walked off.

                I rubbed my side, “So what did I do?”

                Morgan glanced back at me.

                “I'm serious Morgan, you won't even look at me and Matt won't even talk to me. The fuck did I do?”

                “You really don’t remember screaming and freaking out in the car yesterday?”

                “No, I just remember the flip and then I woke up in the woods.”

                Morgan nodded his head back at me, “Something else happened, it was what you said that had all of us freaked out.”

                “What did I say?”

                “You brought up Madison.”

                I looked back at him.

                “You said that you didn’t mean to kill her and that you would have done anything to bring her back.”

                I shook my head back at him.