Chapter 2

SHIZ I'M GOING TO BE LATE! 

I was speeding walking down the sidewalk, my giant, brown bag slung across my body and bouncing off my hip with every step I took. My glasses were sliding down my nose and my hair was probably a mess but I could fix that once I got there. I checked my watch, trying not to spill the two crates of coffee in my hands.

8:58? OH SHRAP I HAVE TWO MINUTES

I picked up my pace, trying to bump into the least amount of people as I could while at the same time, balancing the coffee in my hands WITHOUT tripping, falling, and spilling everything over myself. I gazed up and saw the place I was rushing to get to. All of my thoughts were muddled up in my brain and I was all over the place, stressing out, and just a complete mess.

Oh my gosh, I can't blow this! This is my first day and being late is just not a good impression. What if I forgot my file? No, I got that... Omg what if I didn't bring enough coffee for everyone? Dammit I can't blow this! What if I screw up??  What if the CSI there hates me? What if-- Oh I'm here!

I gazed up at the sign.

CCPD

Okay, here we go.

2 years and 6 months ago:

I woke up to the sound of a loud beeping next to me. I slowly pried open my eyes but quickly shut them due to the bright white light shining through some light source to my right. I tried to sit up but my head started pounding. I groaned loudly and brought my hand up to my head.

"Oh! Honey, you're awake?" I heard a startled but soft, female voice coming from my left. I opened my eyes again to look at her, blinking a couple of times to adjust my eyesight.                              She was a nurse who looked around 30. I looked around and realized this was a hospital, based on the drab, dull, cool grey color of the walls.  "You should lie down! You just woke up from a coma. We don't know if you are okay..." she rambled, trailing off in the end.

I hummed in response and rested myself back down onto the hospital bed. The nurse fiddled around with the IV bags and the equipment next to me. It was awkwardly silent and I had so many questions. I decided to ask the one that I wanted to know the answer to the most.

"What happened?" I asked quietly. The nurse froze.

"I...Uh...It's quite a lot...." she stuttered unsurely.

"Please, I have to know. My sister and Kara and Hartley and... and my boyfriend and Ronnie? What happened to them?" I asked her. "What happened...to me?" I looked at the nurse. She paused, staring at me, and sighed. 

"Fine," she stated, sitting down in the chair next to me. She took a deep breath and looked at me, her eyes full of sympathy. I looked at her confused.

"Honey... you.. you and your friends were in an accident." 

I tensed.

"An a-accident?" I asked her.

"Yes, an accident. Almost 2 years ago, the particle accelerator exploded."

"Wait...that's the thing my sister, Ronnie, and Hartley were building at Star Labs. Oh my god please don't tell me-"

"Your sister is fine. Her fiance, however..." she trailed off.

I teared up. Ronnie was...dead... and I wasn't there for my sister...I left her alone to cope with her pain. I felt so, so bad. I drew a shaky breath.

"The particle accelerator released dark matter and that made what we call metahumans. Basically humans with superpowers. It also created the Flash. He fights against metahumans that use their powers for bad," she explained. "The explosion killed... quite a lot of people and sadly, your sister's fiance was one of them."