14

Emma was sitting cross legged on her couch, with Milo in her lap. With one hand she stroked his head and with the other she tapped on her phone. She was trying to find out if Stacey was telling her the truth.
There were two houses in Millon Bay that were robbed on 4th March 2018. Emma tapped on 'Details'.

"It was about half past midnight. We were sleeping when we heard someone open our bedroom door. It was a tall girl, clad in black from head to toe. Only her eyes were showing. She was carrying a scary looking gun. She asked us to give her all the cash we had. Her voice was raspy..."

That was all Emma needed to confirm Stacey's alibi.

She decided to update her diary.

Alibis of potential suspects:
1. Stacey_ Robbing a house_ confirmed.
2. Trevor_ Out of town for a quiz competition_ confirmed.
3. Roberto_ No alibi.
4. Jeff_
5. Mystery Girl_

Updated list of potential suspects:
1. Roberto
2. Jeff
3. Mystery Girl

Emma had just finished writing when the doorbell rang. She knew it was Andrew. "Come on in," she yelled.

Andrew opened the door and came in. He was carrying a box in his hand. Milo hopped out of Emma's lap and sauntered up to Andrew.

"What's that?" asked Emma, turning towards him.

"Donuts," replied Andrew, maneuvering his way through the cat circling around his feet. "Shoo," he pushed Milo away with his foot as he handed the box to Emma.

"Wash your hands," she said.

"I was already going to," Andrew replied.

Emma lifted the lid and peered inside. Nutella, caramel, chocolate and Boston crème filled donuts looked back at her. She ignored the two plain ones.

"Quick now, before I devour all of these," Emma called out to Andrew. She picked up a donut as he reappeared.

"Which one's that?" asked Andrew.

"Nutella," Emma smacked her lips.

"I will take that. Thank you," said Andrew as he pinched it out of her hand.

"No!" Emma shrieked as she pounced on Andrew. "Give it back!"

"Make me," Andrew laughed and shoved the entire donut into his mouth.

Emma kicked his foot and grabbed the donut box. "These are all mine," she separated the filled ones. "You can have these holed ones," she huffed.

"Mmmm hmmm," Andrew mumbled.

"Don't speak with your mouth full," Emma rolled her eyes.

Andrew swallowed. "That was delicious!"

"I hate you," Emma pouted.

"And I love you," Andrew tickled her. "You are so cute when you're angry."

"You're ugly," Emma huffed.

"I'll get you more donuts," Andrew circled his arms around her. Emma smiled and kissed the tip of his nose.

"How's your investigation coming along?" asked Andrew.

"Pretty good, actually. Technically, I have the list narrowed down to three suspects. I think I'll be ready to go to the police with the story by tomorrow," said Emma. "They can make rest of the investigations and I'll start writing my piece."

"Are you sure?" asked Andrew.

"I know what I'm doing," said Emma.

Andrew felt that sinking feeling again.

***

Vote, comment, add.