20 (Hunger)

“You will only cause him to die.” A voice yells in my ears. “Set him free.”

I ignored the voice as I kept going deeper in the cave. Some spirits tugged at my clothes, trying to pull me down. I didn’t believe in ghosts or spirits, so I ignored them, too. 

“You are too weak. He will die protecting you. LEAVE HIM ALONE!” The voice became loud. It wrapped around me like a lead of sheet.

Then I came across the mirror and I was surprised to see my mom in there. She mouthed Go! I tried to touch the mirror but it kept going further away from me.

I wanted to cry. I looked around and there were no Kris or Luhan.

The spirits whispered Jaeyeong!

Shut up! I tried to reach the mirror.

Someone was shaking me. “Wake Up! Jaeyeong!” My eyes opened and it was daylight. Luhan looked at me worriedly. “Are you okay?” He touched my forehead. “Here, drink some water!”

He handed me water and I gulped it down. So it was all the dream. “What are we doing here?”

“Kris tried to find some food to eat. If I remember the map from the History book correctly, we will reach the Magic Land before we get to Fire Land. We will take a rest there, okay?” He wiped out my sweats on my face.

I smiled at him. His eyeliner didn’t disappear yet.

“Stop being lovey dovey.” I heard Kris’s voice and the barking sound behind him.

“We brought a friend?” I teased as the dog which has pure white fur bit the end of his pant. The dog seemed to like Kris a lot.

“He freaking followed me!” He growled. “Get away, shooo!”

The dog makes whimper sound as he gives adorable puppy eyes to Kris. “I am not sharing this food with you. I have three mouths to feed, including me.” Kris had caught a small bird.

“Did you kill it or did it died by disease?” I asked cautiously.

“I caught it and killed it.” He rolled his eyes. I wanted to throw up that time. It was bloody and I decided to be vegetarian. 

“He can get my share. I will just eat fruits.” I chuckled nervously.

The dog ate my share peacefully and it finally stopped whimpering. Luhan and Kris didn’t seem to mind eating the cooked bird. Kris said that they did those survival skills in the Academy in first semester which I missed, so they knew how to survive in the forest.

I was a princess, okay? I lived in a rich house with my mom and I didn’t need to see raw meat getting cooked. All I saw was a final product with delicious flavor.

Eating wild bird wasn’t my style.

The grass rustled behind me as the cold wind blows against us, making the fire dead. I looked at Kris and he was holding his sword tightly. “It’s just wind.” I told him but he didn’t seem to be relaxed.

“What if -?” The wind stopped blowing but the grass behind me rustled. I tensed as I closed my eyes. I was not ready to die, so I froze the ground.

There was whimpering voice as it slipped across the ice floor. Kris took out his sword and placed his sword behind his back. “Who are you?”

“Ta-Da!” a size of toddler with green skin and a cute face smiled at us and it squealed when it saw a dog that was near Kris.

“Neyri!” It screamed as it went near Kris and picked up the door. “Thank you for finding him. I will do whatever you want me to do!” The dog cuddles around its embrace.

“Uhmmmm.” Kris blinked in confusion. I guessed it was weird to see cute and nice monster for him since we had been dealing with a lot of ugly monsters back then. “I went a ride to Magic Land!” He answered quickly.

“Of course! I can do that! Nori!” It called out and a big dog came out behind him. It growled and bowed to the green skin toddler. “It would send you to Magic Land in the speed of light. So get on!” He ordered.

That green skin toddler was right. We arrived at Magic Land in the speed of light. I was having dog sickness; I threw up after riding this thing.

My eyes were amazed by the view of the Magic Land. It was crowded with people, buying foods and the other things. Some people are flying up in the sky. It was kind of ancient but it was like a paradise. There were no cars or bikes and the houses look old. The deliciously smell were in the air that I was craving for food.

“I want to eat some food!” I mumbled but Luhan heard it.

“Let’s go around!” He grabbed my wrist and dragged me to the crowd. Kris followed us with his grumpy face with him and said “Don’t lose each other in the crowd.” I smiled and nodded.

A few minutes later, we were sitting at a booth in a restaurant. All around us, families were eating noodles and rice.

Finally the waitress came over and said “Well?”

“We want to order some food.” Kris said as if he had money.

“You kids have money to pay for it!” She asked back.

Luhan and Kris looked at me as if they wanted me to think of a sad story to make her give food. I checked my pocket and saw $20 dollar. I put it on the desk and said “Yeah, we do have money.”

The waitress scoffed. “You gotta be kidding me. This is merely paper with a person head on. Don’t think you can fool me.”

“This is $20 dollar.” My tone was sharp but she didn’t budge. I waited Luhan and Kris to support me but he held me down and Kris said “They use coins here. I thought you pay attention in History class!”

Excuse me? $20 dollar is worth more than coins. I checked my backpack to see if I have quarters or dimes but the bad thing is I didn’t find any.

The restaurant went quiet as the group of boys and a man come in. A man in the mid thirties looked at us and came toward us. Kris held the sword and Luhan was ready to fight but not me. I felt like I saw him before.

“Come from mortal world, huh?” He raised 20 dollar in the air. “I will give you coins if you do me a favor.”

“Favor, my ass!” Kris paused. “What favor?”

“Go get my sword in the Fairy Park. I believe it’s in the Tunnel of love.” He said casually.

“Why don’t you go get it by yourself?” Luhan fought back. “I think Tunnel of Love scared you off.” Luhan’s feisty side was released. I liked that side of his!

“Go and fetch it. I’ll give you some coins and you can order a lot of food as much as you want.”

‘As much as you want’ word triggers my stomach. I hadn’t been eat a lot of things. Hamburgers, juice, noodles, rice, and a hot soup invades my mind. “Fine, we will do it. We better not run away.”

“Don’t worry. I will be waiting here. Don’t disappoint me, kids!” He grinned.

Luhan and Kris looked at me with serious eyes and I chuckled nervously. I was ready to pass out from hunger and it was the only choice to get food.