t w o

M O U N T
W E A T H E R
O R  B U S T

GROWING UP INSIDE A HUNK OF space junk, Lilly had never climbed a tree

GROWING UP INSIDE A HUNK OF space junk, Lilly had never climbed a tree. So, naturally, while other delinquents were starting to calm down from their excitement high, the brunette was looking for a tree with low enough branches so she could attempt the one thing she'd wanted to do her whole life. Most of the trees were covered in moss, tall, and their first branches were much too high for her to reach. The only one she'd found where she actually managed to touch the lowest branch-on her tiptoes, of course-was far enough away from the dropship that she was sure she wouldn't be bothered, but close enough that they'd hear her if she suddenly fell and broke her leg or something. Lilly had to look around for a while before she realized there was no way she'd be able to climb it without going back to the dropship.

"I'll be back," she muttered to the tree's large trunk, patting the mossy bark longingly. She wandered back toward the dropship, finding a few of her peers sitting on old crates. "Can I borrow one of those for a minute?" She asked as she approached.

"Uh, why?" One of the guys said.

"I'm trying to climb a tree." Lilly said this in a tone that made her words appear normal. Like everyone should be trying to climb the trees surrounding them.

One of the two girls sitting on these crates let out a bark of laughter, making Lilly glare at her. "You're joking, right?" She asked, seriously believing the brunette had been joking.

"No, actually. There's a tree over there-," Lilly jutted her thumb behind her, "-and I can barely touch it on my tiptoes, so I'd appreciate it if you let me borrow one of these crates." She dropped her arm back to her side, glancing over the faces of those in front of her expectantly.

After her explanation the girl who thought she'd been joking stood up. "You can borrow mine."

"Thanks," Lilly smiled, her face brightening as she did. The two girls walked out into the forest while her group called after her. "I just need it to get up, then you can go back to your friends." The other girl nodded. They arrived back at the tree and she set the crate at the base of the tree. "My name is Lilly, by the way."

"Rena," the other girl greeted, and the two of them shook hands.

"Nice to meet you, Rena, and thanks for lending me your crate."

"Anytime." Rena responded, watching Lilly climb on top of the box, reaching up and, eventually, climbing onto the first branch. "Enjoy your tree climbing." Both girls waved and Rena walked back to her friends.

Lilly leaned her back against the trunk of the tree, staring upward toward the sky. It looked beautiful, despite being possibly filled with radiation. It made her think of her Grandma Vera, her dad's mother. She would love this. Thinking of her grandmother, though, made Lilly sad, no longer full of childish glee, so she stopped thinking about the only person on the Ark she regretted leaving, and started looking for the next highest branch she could easily climb up. Repeating this process a few times, she'd soon climbed at least ten feet above the ground. From her new vantage point, she could see most of the delinquents spotting the dropship's surroundings.