Chp. 8 Evasion

• Dedicated to Calculus, for which I have a healthy respect for but I truly wish its destructio

“Having fun doesn’t mean getting into trouble? Then you obviously don’t know me.” - Unknown

Chapter Eight

The butterfly’s wings beat a hopeless battle against the ground. Crookshanks’ claws were dug in pretty deep, batting it about in the dust like a piece of lint or a string. I manage to shoo the horrid cat away and cup the insect in my hand, kneeling down and pulling out my wand hurriedly. It was close to death.

I murmur under my breath as I wave my wand over the injured creature, healing the beautiful black and blue wings and reattaching one of its feelers that had not withstood the cat’s attention. Its wings begin to move at a more frantic pace as I hold it in my hands, holding my breath as my chest suddenly restricts.

It had been on the path of no return. I had stepped in and saved it. If it flew away, then it had another chance at life. If I held it here or perhaps gave it back to the cat, then I had done nothing in the long run.

I pushed it into the sky, watching as it struggled with gravity for a few precious seconds before catching a breeze and taking off into the sky. I sit back on my heels and let my hands fold together in my lap. I feel dizzy.

“You’re too good.” I whirl around, skinning my knees slightly in the process, to see George leaning against the side of the house. He’s wearing a carefree smile, causing me to roll my eyes.

“What do you mean?” He pushes himself off and walks towards me, plopping down onto the ground and leaning against my back. I smile and hold back a chuckle. I love Georgie— I mean His Holeyness. He’s always been like another brother. Like Barlow, except more protective. (Yes, folks, that is entirely possible.)

“You’re innately good, a pure person. How in the hell did the ferret get you?” He questions. I blush.

“He’s not that bad, George. He grew up in that horrid family, prejudice and expectations shoved down his throat since he was a toddler. If he had grown up in any other kind of family, I have no doubt that he would have been a good friend to us.” I hear him stifle a snort.

“I’d pay to see that.”

“Me too” I sigh. I close my eyes as I lean my head completely back against his shoulder, his head dropping back onto mine. The sun is shining a bit too brightly for my taste.

“You seem a bit happier nowadays. It’s good to see you back to normal.” He comments out of nowhere. I grin.

“It’s nice to be back.” I pause and let a troubling thought drift into my head. “George…”

“Yeah, Jacky?” I fiddle with the edge of my jeans before asking.

“What was it like? When you all thought I was dead?” My voice had dropped to a whisper. He takes so long to answer; I begin to think he never was.

“It was horrible. In a way, it was worse than Dumbledore because you were so young. You don’t realize it, but you’re a symbol of hope for all the younger kids and even the young adults. Fred cried when we got the news. I haven’t seen him cry in so long.” He mumbles. My eyes widen as my breath catches in my throat. His Holeyness say what now?

“George, promise me that you will be completely honest with me.”

“On my pride as a Weasley.” He says without hesitation. Which, annoyingly enough, causes me to hesitate. Do I really want to know the answer to my question?

Knowledge is power…

“Is Fred in love with me?”

He stays quiet for a moment. “He was a few years back. Nothing too serious, I’m pretty certain it was just puppy love. And he’s always had a crush on you, but right now, love is the farthest thing from his mind.” I sigh in relief, my shoulders relaxing. Thank Salazar!