Chapter 22

I was awoken by Dennis' booming bark echoing up the stairwell. His deep barks were accompanied by a loud knock at the front door, and I realised that it was our due date for another package from the army. I quickly rolled out of bed and threw on my dressing gown before running downstairs to accept the package. I ruffled through the contents alone as Peyton had not been awoken by the noise. It included more toiletries, a box of fruit and vegetables, frozen meals, pasta, rice, batteries, toilet paper, and tissues.

By the time I had finished putting everything away in its proper place, Peyton had trudged tiredly down the stairs. It had been two days since our drunken night and we hadn't spoken about what had happened between us, or what hadn't happened between us.

She bid me a groggy 'good morning' and sat on the couch next to Dennis, curling up beside him and hugging him close to her. I had grown to adore Peyton's sleepy demeanour — her bottom lip was always slightly pouted, her hair was messy, her eyes were tired and she rubbed at them with balled fists.

I cooked us both breakfast and handed it to her, sitting down on the other side of Dennis to eat my meal. She grabbed the remote and switched on the TV, a news reporter appearing on the screen.

"and have reported that medical researchers in Israel are only days away from creating a vaccine for ENOV-18. The Australian Health Minister has announced that unless you can provide appropriate medical evidence, every citizen will be vaccinated. Refusal to do so will result in incarceration."

Peyton and I looked at each other excitedly. It was the first news of a vaccine that we had heard and it sounded promising. This news report had lifted our spirits, and both of us were in a better mood throughout the rest of the morning.

Although we were in high spirits about the exciting news, there was still a thick tension between us after what had happened under the influence of alcohol. The awkwardness that I had tried so hard to move past had since returned, and although neither of us were annoyed at each other, we didn't make an effort to be in each other's company either. I missed her presence, but I knew that her absence would make it easier for me to figure out just what I was feeling towards her.

My mum's coworker and I had been exchanging regular texts. He had been keeping me updated on my Mums improving condition, and I had finally gotten a text that day saying the two words I had been dying to hear,

'She's awake!'

I didn't bother asking if I could call, instead just doing so without a second thought. The phone rang for a few seconds before it was answered, the screen blank for a few moments before my mum's face appeared.

"Mum!" I cried, feeling my eyes well up with tears immediately.

She smiled softly at me, apparently still unable to speak. She waved weakly before the camera was turned away, facing her coworker.

"She is still getting used to being awake, it's a big shock to her system," he explained, and I nodded in understanding.

I spent the next half hour telling my mum what had happened since she had fallen ill. I left out the part where Peyton had risked her life to save her, knowing it would only upset her and increase her anxiety. By the end of our conversation I could tell my mums spirits were lifted. She was smiling and her eyes were brighter. She blew me a kiss before our conversation ended, and after we hung up I couldn't wipe the smile off my face.