64. dementor's kiss

     HARPER HAD NEVER been part of a more stranger group

HARPER HAD NEVER been part of a more stranger group. Crookshanks lead the way down the stairs; Remus, Pettigrew and Ron went next, looking like contestants in a six-legged race. Next came Professor Snape, drifting creepily along, his toes hitting each stair as they descended, held up by his own wand, which was pointed at him by Sirius. Harper walked next to him as Harry and Hermione brought up the rear.

"I was meaning to thank you," Sirius began, looking sideways at her.

"For what?" Harper asked, raising an eyebrow. "I didn't do much."

"Your letters really helped me," he said. "And the picture. It was good to see James again."

"You're welcome," Harper replied, giving him a small smile. She saw him casting a glance at Harry. "You should talk to him," she added.

"You think? Wouldn't that be awkward?"

"Perhaps, but you'll regret it if you don't."

Harper rolled her eyes upon seeing his discomfort. "Hermione, could I have a word with you, please?" Harper asked.

Her eyes flew from Sirius to Harry to Harper.

"Sure."

The two of them fell back and she turned to Harper. "What is it you want to talk about?"

"Nothing," the redhead replied, shrugging. "I wanted to give Sirius the chance to have a proper conversation with his godson."

"How noble of you."

"You know me, 'Mione."

They reached the end of the tunnel rather quickly. Crookshanks darted up first; he had evidently pressed his paw to the knot on the trunk, because Remus, Pettigrew and Ron clambered out without any sound of savaging branches.

Sirius saw Snape up through the hole, then stood back for Harry, Hermione and Harper to pass. At last, all of them were out.

The grounds were very dark now, the only light came from the distant windows of the castle. Without a word, they set off. Pettigrew was still wheezing and occasionally whimpering. Harper's head started aching now and when she raised her hand to touch it, she noticed it was bleeding. The Whomping Willow apparently did not favor her.