Chapter 2

"How could I know? One day I'd wake up feeling more."

I turned out liking you than when I first met you.

-Aurora (오로라)

2016. 04. 27.

Today, I thought it was just going to be like a normal day or so that's what I thought.

     In my favorite subject: Literature, in front we will present the book given to us last week. It is an individual report and we'd be asked questions by our classmates and Mrs. Jung.

     The first presenter went in front and it was Sanie.

     "Good morning everyone, today..." San started then introduced us to his topic, Romeo and Juliet. He began telling the story behind it and explained the reason.

     I barely listened to San because I already knew what he was going to say. He knows I am such a bookworm and he knows I have the highest grade in Literature so he had asked me to help him if he was saying the right thing. And it's Romeo and Juliet, come on, who doesn't know about that story? If you don't know, at least you kinda know what will happen in the end. It's impossible not to know it, it's just is but when it comes to San it's another story. Anyway, he also made me ask him questions to know the possible questions that would be thrown at him.

     San, that guy is so extra and sometimes a bully but he is my best friend for a few years now and no matter what he does I can not say no to his requests or stay mad at him and I hate the fact that he knows it.

     His report and us throwing questions at him went smoothly; it only lasted for almost 15 minutes. He had said it before if Mrs. Jung gave him a high score he'd treat me. He got a pretty high score and with that, I got him to buy me a Baskin Robin's ice cream, mint chocolate.

     The next reporter stood up and it was my seatmate Seonghwa. He confidently walked and began reporting when he made it in front. The book he reported was The Great Gatsby by F. Scott Fitzgerald. Another book I like. I know that book in my mind and my heart. The book that ruined me.

     I straightened my back and seated properly not to make myself more sleepy than I was. I even had to pinch myself three times before I directed my eyes at Seonghwa to understand what he was saying.

     He started by telling us some trivia about the book like how the author wasn't satisfied with the title and all that then giving us the explanation after.

     Halfway from his report, our teacher asked him some questions but the last question he was asked left a strong impression on me. "Why did Gatsby stop throwing parties?"

     There was a pause before he opened his mouth. "Just like us, we wouldn't stop until we get something we want right? and that's exactly what Gatsby is feeling but for him that something is someone – the girl he once loved and keeps loving, Daisy. The only reason why he always throws parties is to make her find her way into his world again. Just knowing he almost had Daisy until the end makes him even more passionate about getting her back, to change her mind, to choose him, and run away together with him. And when he succeeded he stopped throwing parties because he finally has the one he truly loves, his Daisy."

     As he was finishing his sentence, his dark brown eyes met mine and I couldn't take my eyes off of his gaze. I was too shy maybe he'd think I was staring at him. Well, I was but I was listening to him.

     "왜 그렇게 큰일을 저지르세요? [Why are you making such a big deal out of it?]" my subconscious mind asked me.

     That was the only time for me to look at his face better since I couldn't do it when I was seating right next to him. I know he is pretty but I didn't know he is that pretty. He really has pretty eyes, I must admit.

     About the questions of Mrs. Jung, he answered them all so well. Damn, I could listen to him all day and I wouldn't complain. You wouldn't even hear me complaining, instead, I'd be glad. He really knows everything about his topic, I'm satisfied. I couldn't help but wonder if he read the entire book instead of just reading the summary for his report. I wonder if he also likes reading like me.

     I gathered my thoughts and continued watching him, paying attention to what he was saying, to his report.

     "We can learn a lot of things from this book that it's not easy to leave your past behind you" as he was explaining I noticed that some of the front pieces of his hair fell into his forehead, almost reaching his eyes. "But doesn't mean you'll keep living what happened in the past, you need to move through or else you'd be stuck," he said finishing his report while brushing back the hair that was almost covering his eyes.

     "Do you guys have any questions?" he asked, gathering his things on the table.

     I didn't notice it was finally our time to ask him questions. Time really passes by so quickly but the thing is why isn't it working when we are having our Math class?

     A minute of silence took over the classroom before I decided to break it.

     "I have," I spoke, raising my hand.

     From the voice that spoke, he looked up and his dark brown eyes once again landed on mine.