History of Computer Games

Computer games date as far back as the mid Twentieth century.  In the early 1950's A.S. Douglas created the first graghical computer game, Tic-Tac-Toe.  In 1958, Willy Higginbotham wrote the game "Tennis for Two."  In 1962, Steve Russell created the first popular computer game Spacewar. The Early 1970's led to the birth of commercial games, such as Computer Space and Tank.  In the mid 1970's, the first text based adventure game was released, called Colossal Cave Adventure.  In the late 1970's Atari gets revamped and takes the main stage.

  In the late 1970's Atari gets revamped and takes the main stage

SpaceWar

The Early 1980's proved to be a busy time for the figital gaming industry. While Atari and Pacman were taking center stage, the popular text based game Zork is released.  In 1983, Gragon's Lair is released after taking six years to make.  In 1985, Nintendo introduced the Nintendo Entertainment System (NES).  From this point on, video game consoles would rival the PC platform.  It was't until the 1990's until both PC gaming, and console gaming were both extremely profitable.  As computer components continued to improve, so did the games.  In late 1993, Myst was released and became the best selling PC game until 2002.  Computer games are continueing to evolve with technology and are growing in popularity.  Massive multiplayer online games, such as World of Warcraft,  are uniting millions of gamers around the world.