Chapter 2: A Perfect Liar

The following days were full of news. Bad news.

In a way, you were thankful for the distraction. Avoiding Loki had been easy with everything you had to take care of.

Frost Giants had been spotted on the mountains. At first, many thought it was a mistake and didn't pay much attention to it. An attack on a small village was what triggered every alarm and the reports could no longer be ignored. The Giants had to be tracked and found as soon as possible. You spent most of your days coordinating with soldiers and scouts to get as much information as you could, even traveling outside the city for days.

Once you had all the information you needed and created a plan with your men, you sent a message to the palace. A war council had to be summoned at once. It was time to round up the members and discuss further actions.

Loki and Thor were the first ones to arrive. Thor took his usual spot by the table and put his feet up, while Loki leaned on a wall. He didn't like sitting down, not when he was anxious and restless about the council.

"I hope this meeting brings good news." Thor said, stretching his arms above his head. "I'm tired of doing nothing! Fighting Giants sounds perfect right now!"

"Because fighting Giants it's what we're here for?" Loki said, absently picking at the trinkets that adorned the room.

"Yes? A war council has been summoned to deal with the Frost Giants that somehow made it to Asgard." Thor explained.

"What?" Loki turned to look at Thor. This was news to him.

"Didn't she tell you? She must have told you." Thor looked quite perplexed that Loki didn't know. "She told me before she left. She told everyone!"

"Not everyone, I haven't seen her in days." Loki said, hoping Thor missed the slight bitterness in his voice.

Thor shrugged. "Something is up with her, though." He commented. "She seemed distracted and more serious than usual. Would you happen to know anything?"

Loki turned his back to Thor and pretended to focus on the trinket in his hand. "Why do you ask me?"

"Well, I was under the impression you're - close." Thor said tentatively.

"I wouldn't exactly call us friends." Loki shrugged.

"Lovers then?" Thor smirked at Loki.

"I wouldn't call us that either!" Loki said as if he found the thought quite disturbing.

"Come on, Loki!" Thor leaned back on the chair. "Everyone knows about you both. Mother even thinks you're courting her!"

Loki clenched his jaw. "I am not, and I have no interest in doing so."

"Good to know." You deadpanned, staring at him from the door.

Loki stared back, wondering how much you had heard of what he said. Neither of you had time to give it another thought. Thor scrambled up from the chair, and several people started to fill the room. Doing a headcount to make sure everyone you needed was present, you took your place at the end of the table.

"As you know, there have been several Frost Giant sightings in the past few months. Initially, we dismissed them, but as more people repeated the same story, we kept a vigilant eye." This wasn't news to most, so no one said anything. "That was until two weeks ago, when the sightings became a raid to a small settlement." You opened an holographic map and pointed at a village by the foot of the mountains.

Thor clenched his fists. "Any casualties?"

"None." you said. "That settlement is very close to the river outpost." You pointed at another structure on the map. "As soon as the alarm was raised, several einherjar deployed and the attack was foiled."