💔Fleeting Beauty Ending 1

TW: angst, character death, panic attacks

A/n: I really didn't feel like writing two completely different chapters for the first and second ending, so they'll have the same build up for the most part but will split off in different directions pretty early on. Also, I'm modelling Prompto's anxiety attack off of what I've experienced in the past, just so ya know...

---------

Waiting for the sun to rise the next morning was utter torture for the blond. He couldn't help but beat himself up over the fact that one of his best friends had disappeared without him noticing.

Maybe if I hadn't been so busy trying to impress Cindy, then--

Prompto's thoughts were cut short when he was blinded by the sun creeping over the horizon. He hadn't slept at all that night, his mind not once shutting off. It was like it was trying to make the blond marksman feel guilty about the past few weeks. After all, he had been the one to beg with Noctis and the king to let (Y/n) join them on their journey.

As soon as the sun hit his eyes, Prompto was jumping to his feet, going to wake the others.

"Iggy, come on! Wake up!" he ordered, shaking the tactician by the shoulders. It didn't take too much to wake him -- he was a light sleeper -- but it still felt too slow to Prompto. He wanted -- no, needed -- to find (Y/n), and the quicker the better.

Ignis said nothing as he rose, then promptly went to wake Noctis while Prompto woke Gladio. After what felt like hours -- Ignis insisted that they all eat something before they left on their search -- the group of four trekked across the deserts of Leide. Their first stop -- the Bandersnatch behind Hammerhead.

***

Prompto was moving with a speed the others had never seen before, not even in training. It was heartbreaking, really: the blond had been so preoccupied with his own interests that he hadn't realized just how much (Y/n) meant to him until it was possibly too late. All of the boys had seen the way she looked at him, except for him. And their hearts felt for the young woman.

Noctis, while also being in love with someone, didn't have to worry about said person not feeling the same way. He and Luna had held feelings for one another way before this arranged marriage.

Gladio, well... He would recognize the look in (Y/n)'s eyes even if he was blind: it wasn't one of familial love, like what he shared with Iris, and the love the small girl held for Prompto went far beyond that of a caring friend. Fuck, Gladio had felt that same kind of love a few times before, back when he was a teenager.

And Ignis? He made it a point to keep an eye on all of his comrades, so it was rare that anything slipped past him. He had been the first to notice the longing in (Y/n)'s gaze when she would watch her best friend, and his suspicions had only been confirmed when she had put herself between Prompto and an MT instead of going to protect Noctis, who had been indisposed. But he could never hold it against her; she was Prompto's childhood friend, after all, and she hadn't made an oath to protect the prince with her life like the others had. And besides, he and Gladio had gone to protect Noctis in her stead.

And now, as they followed after Prompto, just barely keeping up with him in his frenzied state, all they felt was a sense of dread. As they crested the ridge, their eyes were met with a horrific scene.

The bandersnatch lay in the small water source in the crater, the water turned red with blood. It was unsure whether it was the creatures or (Y/n)'s, and that sent Prompto into a panic once more. The blond jumped into the crater, his legs carrying him across the desolate earth until he came to a stop at the monster's body. Eyes wide, he whipped his head around, searching for any sign of the girl. When he saw nothing, his mind went into overdrive.