𝐭𝐞𝐧

Phoenix ran through the jungle, feeling as with every step she took another cannon went off behind her

     Phoenix ran through the jungle, feeling as with every step she took another cannon went off behind her. The heat was beating down on Phoenix's back, making the run deeper into the jungle harder. " Okay, hold up. Hold up! " Finnick called out, feeling the weight of Mags, although light, starting to wear him out. 

The rest of the group stopped at the plead of Finnick, each beginning to catch their breaths. Tightening her ponytail, Phoenix watched Finnick set Mags down before sitting on the dirt floor. " God, it's hot. "  Peeta muttered with both sweat and water running down his face.

" Yeah, and these aren't helping. " Phoenix added as she sat on the ground, looking down at the tight wetsuit that clung to her already sweaty body. " We need to find fresh water. " Peeta replied with a nod, also looking down at the uncomfortable wetsuit. 

Katniss was the last to settle down having been too occupied looking at the arena around her. Just as she sat down three cannons went off, this causing Finnick to smirked. " I guess we're not holding hands anymore. " Finnick said with a laugh, causing Phoenix to shake her head. " Finn. " She sighed, knowing his joke probably wouldn't sit well with Katniss.

" You think that's funny? " Katniss asked, proving Phoenix right with the look of disapproval that was plastered all over Katniss's face. Finnick gets slightly closer to Katniss as he points behind him. "Every time that cannon goes off, it's music to my ears. " He pauses for a moment. 

" I don't care about any of them. " Phoenix rolled her eyes at his words, knowing he wasn't talking about their allies. " Good to hear. " Katniss replied before pulling out a machete, making sure to look straight into Finnick's eyes. 

Finnick gripped his triton a bit harder, even though he knew he couldn't do anything with it. " You wanna face the career pack alone? What would Haymitch say? " He questioned, his head tilted slightly. Peeta and Phoenix made eye contact with each other, both wondering if the other was going to intervene. 

" Well, Haymitch isn't here. " Katniss was beginning to get fed up with both the conversation and Finnick. " Let's keep moving. " Peeta said, ending the conversation before it could get any worst. Without another word said the group stood up, with Finnick crouching down for Mags to get on his back before they made their way deeper into the jungle. 

Peeta led the alliance through the jungle, using his machete to create a better path for his allies. A pit of nerves grows in Phoenix's stomach as she watches pure horror sink onto Katniss's face. Katniss then screams out for Peeta, but her warning was too late as Peeta's machete sunk into the forcefield.

Phoenix flinched at the bright noise and the sparks that came after the contact. Peeta's now limp body flew back, colliding with the rest of the group on his way back. Phoenix groaned as she felt her head collide with the stump of a tree. Yet Katniss was by Peeta's side within seconds, with tears streaming down her face. 

" Peeta? " Phoenix heard Katniss repeat as she watched everything slowly stop spinning. " He's not breathing. " Katniss revealed, making Phoenix and Finnick make eye contact.  " Go Finnick! " Phoenix exclaimed while getting up slowly from the ground, ignoring the pain that was coming from her head.