Chapter 40 | Lies

"Morning sleeping beauty." Theo smiles as I rub my eyes. "Don't call me any names other than Bella." I yawn stretching my arms. "You know since we're not technically friends, shouldn't I just call you Isabella? I thought Bella was from only friends." I get off the table to head to the bathroom, "I don't care which one you call me. I have to pee." I say but shut up as we hear chittering he pushes me to the back of the room and puts his hand up to tell me not to move as he goes. "Checking up on me?" He asks. "You can't tell me you want to know who's taking the bodies." He asks again and I figure out it was one of the Dread doctors. "Inconsequential." The doctor response. "Why? You don't care that someone is running off with your little failed science experiments." He pauses then adds, "You already know who's taking them. Did you forget your supposed to be keeping me on the loop in everything." He raises his voice. "Inconsequential." The doc answers. "Not to me!" Theo yells as a car approaches which turns out to be Stiles.

Theo runs back in asking Stiles what's going on and Stiles tells us whoever is stealing the bodies won't come while they're standing guard. Stiles rigs his cell phone camera to transmit and places it on top of the lightbox used to view x-ray images. While he did that I looked over at Theo wondering why he kept me hidden. "Please don't let her say anything about what she just heard." He thinks looking at me and I nod my head confusing him. I use my finger pointing at my ear then tap my head letting him know I heard his thoughts. "Now to the Jeep." Stiles says turning to us. "How was your night?" Stiles asks me letting me in on his side. "Alright, quite." I say getting in the backseat. Stiles attaches his Samsung Gear watch to the rearview mirror in his jeep.

 Stiles attaches his Samsung Gear watch to the rearview mirror in his jeep

"What happens now?" Theo asks him. "We wait." Stiles keeps it short. "You wanna take shifts watching?" Theo asks and Stiles says no, "No, I want to spend quality time with you." He turns his head to look at him. "Sounds good to me." Theo response nodding his head. "And me, I'm back here don't forget." I smile leaning forward better the two. "Glad you are here." Stiles smiles back at me and I wrap my arms around him leaning on him from behind.

As time goes on I make myself comfortable in the back as Theo asks if Stiles is wondering why he hasn't told Scott about the death of Donovan. He claims all he's ever wanted is for Scott and Stiles to trust him. Theo claims Stiles reminds him of his sister saying she was smarter than everyone and a pain in the ass like Stiles but that she always looked out for her brother like Stiles looks out for Scott. He talks about how she got lost, fell in a creek, broke her leg, and died from exposure. Theo says he found the body. The authorities say she would have been fine if it hadn't been so cold that night. He says he should have known and should have been looking out for her. I shake my head in the back know he wasn't telling the whole truth, but with him talking about her I could feel how he had some regret and was upset. I end up getting a vision of what really happen to Tara freezing in the creek, calling out to young Theo just standing on the bridge above staring down at her. Theo says even if Stiles doesn't like him, he will continue to look out for him making me laugh in the inside.

Theo talks about Donovan's teeth indicating he was Wendigo. Stiles explains the native American myth that says if you ate human flesh you would develop an insatiable craving for it and turn wendigo. Theo says the myth is judgmental and he looks for justifications for cannibalism pointing out that it might be the only way to survive and bringing up The Donner Party. He says that famous case of cannibalism didn't result in wendigos but Stiles points out that they didn't live in Beacon Hills. Theo asks about the punishment for killing a chimera and Stiles jokes says being in a car with Theo for 5 hours. Stiles then gets serious saying he believes the punishment for killing Donovan will be the loss of his best friend Scott. "What would my punishment be if I killed one?" I lean forward looking at Theo with a smile. "Funny." He fake smiles back pushing my head back.