ii. SUPER RICH LOSERS

ii. super rich losers

   SO TESS FEELS DEAD RIGHT NOW, WHAT'S NEW?  After receiving no less than four hours of sleep last night, she pushes through the backdoor of the tackle shop with a scowl plastered across her face

   SO TESS FEELS DEAD RIGHT NOW, WHAT'S NEW? After receiving no less than four hours of sleep last night, she pushes through the backdoor of the tackle shop with a scowl plastered across her face. Her entire body is achy, she can feel it in her bones. It's like she's a cranky old grandma or something. Tess isn't unaware of it. She's been known to be a grumpy bitch every now and then, it's not exactly out of character for the brunette, and is usually fixed with pasta, or ice cream, or literally any food that there is. It's one of her birth given quirks, and it's certainly not going to fizzle out anytime soon.

   And get this! To add to the fun, it seems that two new zits have made themselves at home on her forehead overnight! Now, she's hungry and ugly. The worse part is, Tess is painfully aware that she has brought this torture upon herself; with a distasteful mixture of lack of a skincare routine and abusing caffeine as a meal replacement.

   Things aren't looking too good at the moment — but than again, things are better than they've been in a longtime. Tess will take whatever she can get at this point.

It's always in between. Halfway. No good, no bad. No white, no black. Just grey. There are no words in her vocabulary that would otherwise suffice to describe the numbness rotting inside of her.

   Good news is, there'll be some crazy big waves to surf later today when she's done work. Tess can already imagine it, chewing her lip between her teeth in excitement. Most would tell her not to do but, but trust her, there's nothing to be worried about. Surfing is like second nature to her. Once upon a time back in her Kook days she'd even managed to win a few competitions.

   Obviously she's not going to throw herself into the grasp of danger or anything . . . Obviously she doesn't like the idea of being swallowed by the ocean . . .

   On the more pessimistic spectrum of things to overthink, to say she's worried about hurricane Agatha would be a catastrophic understatement. She's not worried. She's agitated. How dare Agatha think she can just roll into the OBX like she owns the place? Why not hit Florida?

Sure, it's not her first storm, and it won't be her last, but it's the first one she's going to have to experience from the heart of the Cut. There's no denying that Figure 8 is a safer place to be in the midst of a storm . . . she would be a liar to deny it. It doesn't help that it brings Tess to the verge of fucking tears whenever she thinks of all the times she'd curled up next to her father as a storm raged outside.

This time is different.

   Whining about it will get her nowhere. But when push comes to shove, shit happened, and she doesn't have the luxury of a storm shelter anymore, not parents to cling onto.