Chapter 4: The First Day

Vacation was at its end. Starting today, all Fire Nation students went back to school. Nanami woke up earlier than usual, excited about her first day at the Royal Fire Academy. She quickly jumped out of her bed and went directly downstairs to eat breakfast with her grandparents and her sister.

The three of them were already eating and looked at the youngest when she sat down with them. Nanami looked really enthusiastic but they could feel her nervosity when she was speaking, so they reassured her with comforting and encouraging words.

Her grandfather Nobuo wouldn't stop refilling her plate with sweet buns to let her stock energy for the day he said, which made his wife scold him. Nanami watched her grandparents arguing – more like her Grandpa getting reprimanded actually – and smiled, feeling more relaxed, seeing her family's normal attitude.

Back in her own room, Nanami changed her clothes, putting on the academy girls' uniform and quickly grabbed her bag.

When she came down, everyone was waiting for her in the customers' area. Nanami hugged her family members, one by one while they all told her words of encouragement for her first day and complimented her on how good and cute she looked in her brand new uniform.

The fire brick color garments enhanced Nanami's fair skin while the golden touches reminded the color of her eyes and the belt defined her slim waist.

"Ready to go?" Shuu asked.

"Yeah! Let's go!" Nanami replied, walking out of the house decidedly and heading towards the academy.

The entrance gate was more crowded than the other day. Most of the new students came accompanied by a family member. Nanami looked around her. Everybody was wearing the same uniform as her.

She did not know anyone and hoped that she would be able to quickly make friends today. They headed towards the Common Hall where all first-years were supposed to gather. Shuu accompanied his sister to the northern gate of the main building.

"All first-years have to gather in the Common Hall. I'll be going now. If you need any help, come and find me. I'll probably be at the second floor of the main building all day. You'll have to go home alone at noon, since you only have the morning assembly. Good luck little sister!" he told his sister and hugged her before leaving.

"Thanks, Shuu! See you later!" Nanami replied and went to the Common Hall.

The room was full of first-years students and teachers. Ten long wooden tables were lined up in the hall and some students were already seated. At the back, there was a platform, extended perpendicularly to the student tables and across the full width of the wall.

On the platform, a long table for the teachers was laid out, as well as a lectern in the front. Large Fire Nation flags were hanging on each wall of the room. The one on the back wall, behind the teachers, was the largest flag. Nanami scanned the room with her eyes and spotted two young girls happily chatting on one of the tables.

Okay, Nanami. Go make friends!

She took deep breaths to calm down and walked towards the two girls and stood across them.

"Hello!" she shyly greeted.

"Hi!" one of the girls answered, smiling widely. "I'm Miya! And this is Saki! Nice to meet you!"