regret

it was a quiet, slow wednesday at the metropolitan police task force headquarters. daisuke's eyes darted from mahoro, who was eating gummies at the lounge, to kamei who typing away at his desk, and finally to the cranky man right in front of him.

"kambe! were you listening?" haru grumbled, crossing his arms, a small pout gracing his features.

"yes i was." daisuke replied as cool as usual, one leg crossed over the other and gloved hands folded neatly on his lap.

"oh yeah? then what did i say?"

daisuke remained silent. haru sighed in exasperation.

"you should be listening to me you know, i'm your senior after all."

"it doesn't matter, i have HEUSC to record everything i hear. everything you said can be played back."

haru sighed again for the umpteenth time today. he rubbed his temples, thinking of all the gray hairs that he was starting grow due to the stress of dealing with daisuke.

"well, what if HEUSC malfunctions and you can't play back those records?"

"i'll have it replaced with a new one."

"what if you can't listen to those recordings anymore?"

"i don't see what your point is."

"my point is..." haru said through gritted teeth. "...not everything can be bought or returned with money."

daisuke raised an eyebrow at that. "for example?" he quipped, making sure to drag out every syllable. paired with his signature shit eating smirk, he knew it was bound to drive haru mad.

"life, kambe. when a life is lost, you can't bring it back, even with an unlimited balance."

"i doubt i'd let anyone be cornered into a situation like that."

haru chuckled at daisuke's confidence.

"just you see, mr rich guy." haru pointed his finger at a cool, expressionless daisuke.

"one day you will lose something not even your money can return."

daisuke wanted to laugh.

"and when that time comes..."
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
"i'll be the one laughing at you."
.
.
.
.
.
"haru?! haru!!!"

thunder roars in the distance, the pouring rain drumming on daisuke's back. cold. unrelenting. unforgiving.

haru.
please....

daisuke's ankle bleeds profusely, pain shooting up his leg with every step. heavy raindrops threaten to blind him, nipping at his clothes, wind seeping deep into his skin.

"haru!!" he calls out, voice hoarse.

a pang of dread shoots through daisuke's chest like a bullet as he sees something in the distance, on the wet concrete, surrounded by a pool of blood.

no.

he stumbles, slippery, expensive loafers skidding against the ground.

no. no. no.

daisuke falls to his knees, gloved hands cupping haru's cold face so, so gently.

"haru!" he desperately shakes the older man, receiving no response. a choked sob escapes daisuke's lips, a sound that he, a billionaire, should never make in his lifetime.

"haru...wake up...please...." he begs, brushing an ungloved thumb over haru's bloodstained cheek. he holds haru's limp body in his arms in a tight embrace, shielding him from the rain.

the blood was warm.
haru was not.

~

dt to twitter user cynicallyblue, loosely based off of an edit of theirs