The Slaughter of Mrs. Humphrey

Rosemary has always thought that Elder Stoltz's face looks very like a mouse. Though she muster all powers of concentration, she cannot stop herself from seeing him in this way. His ears stick out nearly 45 degrees from his head, his face is narrow and pointed, he has a mild overbite and his nose is fabulous—long and arched. It is the nose that draws the eye, and Rosemary can look neither at his mouth, nor his forehead, nor even at his closely placed eyes because his nose calls to her.

Elder Stoltz first gives thanks for Mrs. Humphrey. She has worked hard her whole life and produced fine offspring, but her time has come. Rosemary, Aaron King, Elder Stoltz and Mr. Becker huddle around Mrs. Humphrey, faces glowing softly in the lantern light, their November breath coming in steamy clouds of warmth. Especially Mrs. Humphrey's. Her breath bursts heavy and loud from her nostrils billowing like a dragon.

Elder Stoltz is effusive in his thanksgiving this morning.

Rosemary keeps her eyes open when people pray. It is not due to irreverence. She simply needs the visual stimulation if there is any hope of focusing on what is being said. And because her eyes are open she knows who else does not close their eyes in prayer. It is a secret club of open-eye pray-ers that the closed-eyes pray-ers don't know exist. Michael Hermann, Moses Keller, Leah Peterson. They are all part of the secret society.

"... she has been a generous mother ... gentle and obedient ..."

Mrs. Humphrey shifts nervously where she stands, crunching the straw beneath her as Elder prays on and on. Rosemary drifts in and out of the prayer, looking into Mrs. Humphrey's sad eyes. So, she thinks to herself and nearly says out loud, Mrs. Humphrey doesn't close her eyes in prayer either.

Rosemary mouths to Mrs. Humphrey her reassurance, "It's OK," and Mrs. Humphrey blinks in response.

"... now there is safety and sufficiency in our settlement. So, we thank you, our great and powerful God, for the mercy you have shown your people and for the provision you have given us." Elder Stoltz places a hand on Mrs. Humphrey's ample shoulder and pats her firmly. Rosemary thinks the slap of his hand must feel good to Mrs. Humphrey. Then he strokes her head as he drones on in prayer. Rosemary smiles at her as if to say, "You're doing just fine," and Mrs. Humphrey releases a massive sigh. It's nearly over.

The "Amen" is spoken in unison, and it brings Rosemary out of her trance. Another prayer where only wisps of words are caught in her frenetic mind, too crowded with other things. Like tonight's ceremony, or her courtship with Saul. And she thinks about her best friend Ruth, and of course about Mrs. Humphrey and how she will get to meet her children on the other side this earthly veil very soon. Her children were taken to glory in the same manner, though they were only two or three years old.

Mr. Becker knows just where to place the chisel to make Mrs. Humphrey's death immediate and painless. He feels for it: between the bottom of the skull and the top of the spine. A soft spot where the chisel can quickly and easily penetrate where the brain and spinal cord meet.

Mr. Becker finds it with his thumb, places the chisel there, then lifts the hammer. Rosemary looks at Mrs. Humphrey one last time in this life. She never can watch the actual act of severing the spinal cord during the slaughter, no matter how many times she has witnessed it. She looks down at the ground momentarily and hears the clink. It is followed by a massive thud.

Rosemary looks up. Mrs. Humphrey has gone limp, her 1,200-pound body collapsed to the ground, head twisted awkwardly, and her four hooves crumpled beneath her massive Guernsey frame. Half a chisel protrudes from the base of Mrs. Humphrey's neck like the horn of a saddle.

To harvest an animal as large as Mrs. Humphrey requires block and tackle. Her hooves are wrestled out from under her and bound together. She is hoisted upside down until her head is off the ground.