Falling From the Sky is NOT as fun as it Sounds.

You stood in your backyard, between the never-used picnic table and your mom's flower garden. The grass bent a bit beneath your feet, and you made a mental note to mow it later.

"So what's this 'proof' you have?" You still couldn't believe they were here, that you were doing this. Plus, you were still a bit wary of them. Despite how genuine they felt, you never knew which strangers you could trust, if any.

Mr. Forkle moved around your yard, looking around as if he were in some action movie checking for spies.

Sophie pulled a crystal necklace from beneath her T-shirt and lifted it so a shaft of sunlight pierced through it. "This." A shining beam of light cut through your lawn.

"What is that?" You took half a step back. Light didn't act like that.

"It's a home crystal," Sophie explained. "It has a fixed destination it takes you to, and this one goes to my home."

Mr. Forkle reappeared beside you. "Shall we?" His eyes sparkled as he smiled at you and stepped into the light.

He immediately disappeared.

"Oh my gosh." Your stomach dropped. "Did you guys drug me?"

Sophie frowned. "No."

"Right. How could you have? I didn't have anything to drink. So that—that means this is real? Or a very elaborate, impressive hoax?" You looked around your backyard for cameras, but didn't see any.

"It's real," Sophie said. "Like I said, I didn't believe it at first, either."

"So, what, you're a human too?"

She glanced around and tugged at her eyelashes. "Listen, we don't know how much time we have. We'll explain everything as soon as we get to Havenfield, ok?" She stretched out her hand to you. You looked at it.

"What?"

She rolled her eyes. "Take it. Unless you want to have your particles scattered."

"Would that . . . kill me?"

"Yes."

You took her hand and stepped into the light. Warm tingles pushed up from inside your skin, which was melting into goo. Some sort of invisible sheath kept you from flowing away. You couldn't see anything, couldn't feel anything. You were dimly aware of Sophie's hand in yours, but you couldn't actually feel it.

You stumbled forward, your feet suddenly on grass again. Sophie yanked you back before you could fall on your face.

"Watch it," Mr. Forkle said, reaching out to steady you. You nodded your thanks to him and pulled your hand from Sophie so you could rub your sore shoulder. Geez, that girl was stronger than she looked.

"Welcome to Havenfield," Sophie said. "My home."

You took a second to look around you, which turned into a minute. All you could say was, "Wow."

Pens of animals—magic, supposedly extinct, never-imagined-possible animals—were arrayed on the wide, lush lawn before you. A mansion of glass and gold sat beyond the corrals, three stories high with a cupola rising from the roof. The whole thing was shining and glittering and gorgeous.

"You actually live here?" Your tongue going dry reminded you to close your mouth.

Sophie chuckled. "Yeah. Trust me, though, there are much bigger and prettier houses than this."

You just looked at her. How was that possible?

Mr. Forkle laughed his wheezy laugh again. "I believe you came here looking for answers, not architecture."