Halloween Deceit

Halloween, 2005.

"Downsizing?" Michael looked into the camera, pulling a face. "Yah, Jan called this morning... She's expecting a name. I have to let someone go today."

-

Halloween is always fun at Dunder Mifflin. The whole office dress up, there's always a party hosted by Angela and a few of the girls, and even though the cobweb decorations had disappeared mysteriously overnight, the ambience of Halloween still remained.

Halloween fell on a Monday, so the usual boring start to the week was a lot more fun. Pam had stocked up her desk with candy, and had dressed in all black with cat ears and painted on whiskers. Everyone in the office had dressed up, from Michael with his second head, to Devon as a hobo, and Kevin as a superhero.

But 9 am rolled around, and Jim, dressed up as '3 hole punch Jim', couldn't help but notice that Y/N, who had never been late, wasn't at her desk. He and Pam shared a look, and she pulled out her mobile, calling Y/N's number.

Straight to voicemail.

"Maybe she's getting Halloween supplies?" Pam suggested, and Jim shrugged, glancing at Dwight in his Sith Lord costume, looking like a shrivelled prune with the makeup he had decided on.

9.15, and still no Y/N. Pam tried her phone again, and was once again met with a cheery answering machine message.

9.48. Nothing. Pam suggested they take their minds of it by pulling a major prank on Dwight, applying to jobs on his behalf.

10.34. More nothing. Pam received a call though, asking for a recommendation for Dwight Schrute, and Jim pretended to be Michael.

Jim and Pam were starting to get seriously worried when the front office door opened at 10.58, and Y/N walked through the door, in a light blue turtleneck and jeans, and with her face beaten up.

"Oh my God, Y/N." Jim ended his call and ran over quickly.

"Relax dude, it's special fx makeup." You reassured him, trying your best to believe the lie. "I thought I'd go all out this year... But then I couldn't find my Halloween costume, so I now look like... I dunno, mugged individual?" You joked, walking over to your desk, using all the energy you had not to wince as you sat down.

"That doesn't explain why you were late." Pam said from behind reception, and you held up a slip of paper.

"Doctor's appointment. I thought I had emailed you last week?" You asked, and she shook her head. But with both your friends believing the cover story, you set about work for the day, trying your best to avoid the pain in your side or the pounding in your head.

Come 2 pm, Jim counted that you had taken four extra strength Tylenol, and drank three full bottles of water. No coffee like usual, no unnecessary trips to talk to Pam or him, no come backs for Dwight's monologue about Star Wars.

He wasn't sure if you were just suffering from a major hangover, or if it was womanly problems or something else, but he didn't like seeing you out of it.

He was going to say something, but instead headed over to chat with Pam, the pair watching Dwight pick up the phone. The amusement was satisfying, even if temporary, listening to Dwight fight about his martial arts credits with some recruiter for Cumberland Mills.

"You know, you should be applying for that job." Pam said softly, and Jim pulled a face.

"But it's in Maryland..."

"I know, but you are so much more qualified than Dwight, plus it's double what you get paid here I mean..." Pam shrugged, smiling a little. If anyone should be getting a pay rise in the office, it was Jim. She knew it. He had more talent than half the office combined, including Michael and Dwight.

"Right." Jim said quickly, walking away from her desk and stopping only when he was called into Michael's office.

Once Jim was in the office, Pam decided to take her coffee break, and fetched a cup for Y/N too. She walked over, placing the cup beside you, noticing you filling out some paperwork with no real motivation.

"I swear, I keep looking at you and thinking the makeup is real. Wow!" Pam complimented as she sat on your desk, sipping her coffee. You smiled, taking the mug and sipping it lightly, trying your best not to disturb your busted lip. "Dinner was great fun on Friday, right?" Pam continued chatting, and you nodded weakly.

"I'm sorry Pam, I'm just not feeling great today. Is there any chance we could talk tomorrow? I've got this killer headache." You confessed, and Pam frowned a little but nodded, heading back over to her desk.

The rest of the day passed in a blur. Supposedly Jim almost got fired, as did a number of others, and by the time the work day was over, Devon had been let go. The rest of the office, besides Creed and Michael, were invited for drinks with him, and all agreed, packing up and abandoning the office party Angela had planned out for them.

"You coming Y/N?" Jim asked, and you nodded slowly, gathering your things and following the crowd out but with the elevator full, you and Jim headed down the stairs. You both stayed quiet for a few moments, and you chewed on your lip out of habit.

"Can't believe Michael tried to fire Creed and gave up." You spoke up, and Jim nodded.

"It's crazy... He's lost it a little that past few months." Jim agreed, glancing over at you and promptly stopping. You stopped too, about two steps down, and looked up.

"Jim, everything ok?" You asked, and he walked closer, running his thumb across your chin and moving it back to show blood.

"Didn't know fx makeup could bleed, did you?" He asked, and your hand shot up to cover your mouth. "Jesus Christ, Y/N! Why did you even come in today?! You should be in a hospital." Jim said, clearly mad, and you took a few steps away from him. He noticed and looked into your eyes, like he was trying to find your soul.

"What happened?" He asked quietly, and you couldn't stop your lip from trembling.

"Brian..." It was the only word you could get out before you broke down in tears, falling to the stairs and sobbing uncontrollably. The entire weekend you had lay on your apartment floor, only moving to use the bathroom and grab a fresh six can pack from the fridge. You had only showered that morning because of work, your doctor's appointment. You received the good news that, while the damage was going to lead to a lot of bruising, no internal bleeding was found, no problems with organs or anything.

Jim rushed to your side, lifting you into his arms and holding you close, letting you cry it out before he even tried to move you. He picked you up bridal style, carrying you to the front door, when you insisted her out you down so as to not draw attention. Poor Richards was only a walk away, and at least a few people would have waited for the pair to join.

It turned out to be Pam and Oscar, who stood chatting by the front door.

"Hey Jim, Y/N." Oscar called, frowning as you walked towards Jim's car. Pam excused herself does a second, running over and catching up with the pair of you.

"Jim, what's up with Y/N?" Pam asked, hands in her jacket pockets to retain warmth. Jim looked over, and called back to Oscar.

"Head on without us, we've got something to do first." Jim said with a fake smile, and Oscar shrugged, walking along to Poor Richards.

"Why did you-" Pam asked, but Jim cut her off.

"It wasn't makeup Pam... Brian did that to her..." Jim said quietly, Pam's hands flying up to cover her mouth.

"Oh God..."

"I'm taking her to my place, then the police station." Jim decided, and Pam shook her head.

"Roy and I will take care of her. Drop us off at our place and you head over." She insisted, jumping in the back seat with you. "Hey sweetie, ready for a quiet Halloween night in?" Pam asked softly, and you just rested your head on her shoulder, which soon became damp with tears.

"Thank you guys." You said softly as Jim got in the car, starting the engine and heading towards Pam's place.

"What are friends for, Y/N?" He replied, and the last thing you remember was falling asleep cuddled up against Pam, the midnight blue sky twinkling with stars above through Jim's car skylight.