Chapter Two

Aurora's assessment was right, not that she was surprised. Agent Coulson had asked Skye to join the team, and it seemed she wasn't the only person who had concerns about this particular decision. Although, she was the only one attempting to keep these concerns to herself.

"Skye?" Ward questioned as he, May, and Aurora followed Coulson into the debriefing area. "She's not qualified to be a S.H.I.E.L.D. agent."

"Agreed. That's why I've invited her on as a consultant," Agent Coulson answered. "S.H.I.E.L.D. does it all the time. Technically, Stark's a consultant. So was Auditore." Ward glanced behind him to look at her and she kept her expression neutral, although she rolled her eyes internally. "Consultant" was a polite way of putting it.

Sighing, he turned back to Coulson. "And technically, Skye's a member of the Rising Tide. She hacked our R.S.A. implementation--"

"Twice," Coulson interrupted. "From a laptop. Imagine what she'll do with our resources."

"I am. That's exactly what I'm imagining during this frown. You brought me on for risk assessment," Ward continued. "She's a risk. She doesn't think like us."

"Exactly."

"We have two kids on this bus who aren't cleared for combat," May added. "You're adding a third."

"At least Fitz-Simmons are trained S.H.I.E.L.D. scientists," Ward said, and Aurora couldn't help but nod in agreement. They knew what they had signed up for, theoretically. Skye, on the other hand, was going into this blind. She had no idea what being a part of a S.H.I.E.L.D. field team entailed; the very real dangers involved. Dangers that could, and probably would, ruin her.

"But Skye?" Ward continued, "You said this was a select team. Assembled to work new cases, to protect people. I don't see how letting some hacker tag along--"

"I'm looking for an objection I haven't already anticipated. Agent Auditore," Coulson turned to face her, "maybe you have such an objection."

Aurora shook her head. "I think you've already made up your mind."

"Terrific non-answer," he chuckled. "Now, what do you really think." Aurora could hear the slight order that laced his words, and the liquid in her mouth evaporated as an uncomfortable feeling crawled under her skin. She ran her tongue on the back of her teeth, suddenly wishing she had stayed in the lab. She could feel the eyes of the agents on her, and she swallowed. When she spoke, she made sure to keep her voice and her face as emotionless as possible.

"Fieldwork changes people," she said simply, keeping her eyes locked on the spot above Agent Coulson's head. "Skye's going to change too." Because of your decision, and you have to live with that. She knew Coulson understood, by the subtle change in his expression and the way he looked back down at the tablet in his hand.

"Concern heard and also already considered," he said, "but you're right, I have already made the decision. I'm calling this. But," he turned to Ward, "your frown will be on record."

"We've been called in to investigate an 0-8-4. We all know what that means."

"Yes, we do," Coulson said. "It means we don't know what that means." Then he handed the tablet off to May, presumably with the location of the 0-8-4, who turned and walked off towards the cockpit. 

Simultaneously, Fitz, Simmons, and Skye walked into the lounge. Fitz was carrying a large box, shifting its weight in his hands as he spoke while Skye carried two bags. She heard Ward grunt behind her. Taking a step forward, she leaned against the doorway closest to them as May came over the intercom.

"Wheels up in two. Lock it or lose it."

"What's that mean?" Skye asked, looking at the scientists.