chapter five

the next morning, we all meet up at john b's to figure out the water drone. as i walk down the dock, i realize i'm the last one to get here.

"hey guys," i say to pope and jj

"hey guys," i say to pope and jj. they both wave to me and i see john b and kie on a screen while they're underwater. "what did i miss?"

jj turns to me to answer but says, "holy shit. you're wearing visible bottoms."

i laugh at him and shove him away, "shut up. i thought i'd switch my look up today."

we turn back to pope and see him working the drone. jj pats him on his back, "what would we do without you to control the drones?"

"well, technically it's not a drone it's a—" pope starts, but jj cuts him off.

"shut up. shut up," he says, leaning over the railing. john b and kiara come up from underwater and both wave at me. i lean over the railing next to jj, and laugh at him. "it's too early for that right now."

john b starts from the water, "hey, once we get footage of the wreck, we'll bring it to a lawyer in town and file a formal claim."

"it's bullshit. why do we have to do that?" jj asks, looking over at me. but pope steps up, and answers before i have the chance.

"well there is maritime salvage law," he answers. "you can't just go to the ocean floor and scoop a bunch of stuff up."

"i know. i know. it's just lawyers aren't cheap, bro," jj answers, looking concerned.

"as soon as they see the footage," john b says from the water. "they'll work for a comp."

"how do you know all of that?" i ask him, taking off my sunglasses.

"cause my dad said it, like a million times," he answered.

"yeah, that's fair," kie says, as she swims towards us all.

"this tether is like, really long," pope starts. "in the wrong weather, it could get pushed around."

"then we'll go at dead calm," john b answers.