Breakfast

It was well into the morning when Hellaya had arrived for breakfast and took her usual seat next to Cyrene. It was comforting to sink into the regularity of routine, after all that had happened. Cyrene nudged her with her elbow.

"How was your visit?"

Hellaya looked at her friend. "It was fine, you know, the usual. Maman and Papa and Lianne."

"But you look worried."

It was a sign, Hellaya supposed, that Cyrene was a true friend. She remembered what the crone had said to her early this morning. The people you live with, are they truly who you believe them to be? No, she thought, Cyrene would not lie to her, Cyrene, who she had known all her life.

"I'm just tired. I stayed up late last ni-"

Prince Lionel had arrived. Hellaya found his eyes scanning the table, as if he were searching for something- and then he tripped. Hellaya had to duck her head to hide her smile as her regained his balance. He looked positively mortified. Cyrene met Hellaya's eyes, and Hellaya could see that her friend was close to laughter as well.

"I apologize," Lionel said, having finally regained his compusure. "For my tardiness, I had forgotten my way here. I must also tell you that my father wishes to have his breakfast served in is room."

Strange, Hellaya thought, to not arrive for breakfast. Loré and Dorenne had always had a tense relationship. Surely that tension could not have been resolved in just one dinner?

"Did your father and King Jovian speak a lot during dinner last night?" Hellaya whispered to the princess beside her.

"No, they barely spoke. Why?"

"Oh, nothing." So they had not discussed affairs then. Strange. Just then, the servants began serving breakfast. Pancakes, vanilla pudding, croissants and a plethora of other dishes. Hellaya smiled at the servant who was placing a stack of pancakes onto her plate. The same servant she'd spoken to yesterday, she realized. Hellaya dug into her pancakes with enthusiasm. She was still going with gusto, when Cyrene interrupted her eating.

"So, you and Prince Lionel?"

The effect was instantaneous. Hellaya almost dropped her fork. Her cheeks flamed. "What about him?"

Cyrene rolled her chocolate-brown eyes. "You know, you needn't act so nonchalant around me. I saw the way he looked at you yesterday. Plenty of men have fallen for you charms, Helle, but you never took an interest in them. Now, Lionel, on the other hand..." She rose her eyebrows suggestively.

Hellaya was sure her face matched her hair. "He is only the Prince of Dorenne, really Cyrene, there is nothing between us."

Cyrene studied her friend. "He is very handsome. I know you think it too, Helle. Besides, your marriage would bind our kingdoms together."

"Cyrene!" Hellaya hissed, "Marriage? We barely know each other!"

"I'm sure that will be changed soon."

Hellaya glared at her friend. Cyrene laughed. "Helle, you look like a tomato."

Hellaya looked around the dining room, trying to find something else to focus on. Prince Lionel met her eyes. Oh, for the love of God. Hellaya looked away quickly, before the colour in her cheeks could deepen further.

Cyrene, who had been watching their little interaction with great interest, gave Hellaya a smug look. Hellaya tossed her friend a sour expression before looking back at her pancakes.

" -perhaps we could have Hellaya guide you around the palace," the king was saying, "So you don't lose your way again." It took Hellaya a moment to realize that the king was speaking to Lionel. The king then turned his gaze to her.

"Is that fine Hellaya? Could you show Prince Lionel around the palace after breakfast?"

"Of course, Your Majesty," Hellaya said in response. Cyrene looked delighted.

~

When breakfast was finally over, Hellaya walked out of the dining room, Lionel in tow.

"Could you meet me outside my chambers in a half hour?" she asked.

Lionel nodded in reply.

"Then i shall meet you there." With that, Hellaya set off in the direction of her rooms.