~6~

~Laurel~

 "How dare him hurt her?! How dare him even lay his hands on her?! Is this what I pay you guys, money for? To hurt her?"

"Andre didn't mean any of those things."

"Yeah but he still hurt her. And he won't stop now."

"Andre has been her father for nine years, what makes you think he's doing all these on purpose?"

"Because he's not really her father."

"You're wrong. Mirabelle is my daughter, mine and Andre's daughter. We adopted her from you. We raised her. We've been taking care of her for so long now. You can't just come and accuse us of things we did as her parents.."

"So hurting her is part of the upbringing too?"

"I've told you. He didn't mea--"

"Do you even hear yourself? I was the one who gave you money for part of her upbringing. I'm the one paying her bills, I'm the one sponsoring her, I'm also her mother!"

"No you're wrong. Material things cannot compete for a mother's love Laurel, and the sooner you get that, the better. We bought her from you, are you forgetting? And besides, what kind of mother do you think you are? A mother that couldn't accept the fact that she's actually a mother. A mother that gave her own child away and claims she hate her. What kind of mother are you? A mother that despises her own blood and despite having so much luxury, couldn't raise her own child..."

I lifted my hand in the air, ready to bang my fists hard on her face but suddenly stopped when I realized that she was older than me. She was also Mirabelle's mother. Hitting her also means breaking my promise to Mirabelle.

I lowered my fists. "Don't you dare talk to me that way. I gave you a child when you were incapable of bearing one. I gave you the answer to all your problems so don't you even dare, turn the tables on me. Because I could take Mirabelle away from you, right this moment. I could take her back and you won't even dare lay your eyes on her again."

"And you think she'll go with you?" She said, mockingly. "Mirabelle has grown so attached to this little farm of ours and even to me and Andre, so what makes you think she'll ever go with you?"

"Because she looks up to me. I'm her role model and her godmother. What makes you think you can ever come against that fact?"

She sighed then lowered herself onto a chair. "I'm sorry Laurel, I am. I really am. I didn't know what came over me. Like Mira, I am only defending Andre."

"And yet you couldn't protect her from his clutches?"

"I'm sorry." She got up from the chair. "But give me a chance, I swear I'll protect her with everything I've got. Please Laurel, do not take her or Andre away from me. I'm begging you."

"And her allergy?"

"I've been taking care of that so no need to worry. Just give me another chance."

"We'll see about that."

  ~

"Godmother, did you think if they hadn't found the glass shoe, Cinderelly would have ended up with the prince?" Mirabelle asked me as I tended to her bruises softly.

"She married the prince at the end, that's what matters."

"Hm. Do you have a prince in your life, godmother?"

"Quit asking questions, Mira."

"I take it as a no. So why don't you have a prince in your life? Don't you want to be swiped off your feet like Cinderelly?"