Chapter 16: Truth to be Told

Chapter 16: Truth to be told

*Audrey's POV*

It is finally official.

I want to kill myself. No, that would be too extreme. Maybe, a banging of my head in the wall would do. Why do I spurt things without thinking?! I hate you word vomit.

"What do you mean that you won't be staying here long?" Luke asks with confusion in his handsome face. Handsome? Really Audrey?

"Umm, it's nothing. Forget about it." I quickly mumble as I stand up. Luke looks at me with absolute curiosity as he sits on the couch across me. He was about to say something I'm afraid of so I cut him off, "C'mon. Sylvia is probably done with lunch." I quickly pull him up and grab his hand without even giving him a chance to reply.

I glance at him at the edge of my eyes and see his mouth shut contemplating something. I know he was just bidding his time. I'm pretty sure he was going to ask me the same question later. Luke's not stupid. Why would I even make him my boyfriend if he was? I had standards people, besides he was the golden boy of our school.

That reminds me of something, time to distract him. I know it won't work for long, but I'm willing to distract him as long as possible.

I drag him to the table where Sylvia was just finishing preparing the table. She looks up at us and smiles, "Miss Harper, I was just about to call you."

I smile back, "Good thing we're here then Sylv."

Sylvia serves as lunch, and we eat it heartily engaging in light conversations, regaling each other of stories from our college days. We seem to both agree subconsciously to avoid the topic that seems to sit like a very big elephant on the room, though we both smile genuinely and laugh merrily when our stories told us to do so.

After lunch, we sit at the patio looking at the garden that I've worked on for the past two months of being on a so-called house arrest.

Luke looks at me with his melting green eyes, and I get uneasy wondering if he will ask the question that I've been expecting him to an hour ago, but he seemed to be adamant on surprising me, "Sooo, Audy," I blush at his nickname remembering the times he would use that on me when we were still dating, "any boyfriends during college that I should know of?"

I laugh expecting the question to serve as a joke because of his playful manner of saying it, but when I sneaked a glance at him, the laugh was smothered when I took his very serious expression in. He was expecting an answer and he was not going to stop until he gets it. I purse my lips, "None actually. A few dates here and there, but I was mostly focused on finishing college and catching up with the lost time with my brother, my grandmother, and well, my new not so new sister-in-law." His jaw visibly relaxed, but asking me a personal question like that also has its disadvantages and he almost expects it. "How about you, hmm?" I turn my head at him looking at him intently as if challenging him to lie to me.

He sighs and sags on the chair, though for a person who doesn't know him well, it wouldn't be obvious because of his broad shoulders that he has eventually developed in those five years, but for me, it is quite obvious. "To be honest, too many flings to count." He avoids my eyes, and my vision darkens.

Damn. I knew a guy who would wait for me for five years would be too good to be true. Here I am, saving my innocence for him while he was out fucking other girls.

Well, I'd rather give my innocence to someone worth it, and with that piece of information that he has just graced me with right now, he is not worthy enough. I keep my facial expression the same as before, before giving out a fake laugh sounding scandalous, "Wow Luke!" I laugh as if finding the whole thing funny and not plunging my heart a million times, "You're still famous with the ladies even after high school." I fake a smile that he seems to have bought.