twenty four

It was almost eight-thirty

It was almost eight-thirty. Emily texted me, saying that she was almost here so I quickly changed into a pair of black skinny jeans and Ashton's white hoodie. He still hadn't texted me, and something just kept bothering me about his sudden distant behavior. I unplugged my phone and shoved some money into the back packet of my jeans, just as Emily honked from my driveway.

My mom and dad were home for dinner before they had to get back to the hospital. They'd been over for dinner a lot in the last few weeks. We'd been having all these family dinners and they'd been really nice too. Things just had been so much better these past few weeks.

Ever since I'd started hanging out with Ashton.

And I was thinking about him, again. Great.

"Bye, parents. I'll be back before you guys leave for your shift."

My parents had their next shift at 11:30 p.m. I'd probably be back before, I didn't know how long the whole process was since I'd only been there twice before, and both times I'd left with Ashton before it could end.

Even if I wasn't back, I'd text them. They'd understand.

"Okay Alexis, be safe. Text us if you need anything," my mom replied, going back to the files in front of her. They were probably patient files, considering the fact that my dad was looking at them too, and explaining something to her when I came downstairs.

I quickly got into Emily's car and hugged her.

"Ugh I haven't seen Drew in so long" she said, reversing out.

Even though Emily and Drew were probably the most in-love couple I knew, they could only see other on the weekends, considering the fact that they went to different schools and were just busy. They'd pick up right where the left off during the weekends though. It was really cool, and really different from the clingy relationships I was used to seeing around me where the boy would just ditch all his friends for her.

Even though I'd decided to respect Charlie, I could still be a little bitchy about it, I guess, as a coping mechanism.

"I know Em, Drew's pretty cool."

We just talked about Drew and about what was going to happen when we got there. There we two fights today, we'd probably miss the first considering the fact we were pretty late and we still had to drive for 30 minutes before we'd reach the venue. The second fight was bigger anyway, and the one Drew had bet on and arranged, so I guess that's the whole reason we were going there.

I wasn't particularly fascinated with the fights but it was nice to get out of the house and Emily just mentioned the open bar at the house they had the after party for the fight so, things were looking better now.

We made idle conversation as the 1975 played lowly in the background until we reached. Emily found a parking spot and after locking her car, we started walking towards the house. The neighborhood wasn't really bad, just empty. There weren't many houses here, and the few that existed, had their lights shut. Maybe that's why this was a good place to have underground fights, I guess? Because of how abandoned the entire area was.