twenty-six

Lucas turned his head to look around the busy tables, trying to disregard Catelyn's question.
He proceeded to eat his meal and left Catelyn clueless.

For a moment, Catelyn was distracted upon hearing the delicate live music from behind. She let herself soak to the beauty of the evening- the way the restaurant was full of different people in different moods. The singing, the laughs and the conversations of random strangers has taken over her ears. She looked outside only to find out that it's already raining, a moment that she enjoys. The glass door of the fast food restaurant was filled with raindrops within a few moments. She ate her meal as well. The place started to get cold and she eventually forgot where their conversation stopped.

"Seems like we are staying here a little longer, Catelyn."

"I guess so.. So what do you want to know about me?"

"How's life been going?"

"Well, kinda good actually. I just got here months ago."

"Oh, that's why you're kinda new to me."

"Yes, I certainly am."

"I grew up here."

"That's cool."

"So, how did you and Abbie met?"

"We are classmates. She's the only friend I got, actually; when I transferred here."

"Her birthday is near."

"When?"

"Tomorrow. March 13."

"Really? I must do something for her."

"Make it really special, it's her 18th."

"Oh. Thank you. And I would like to see you in her birthday celebration."

"She doesn't really celebrate her birthdays. She kept on telling herself that it's the worst day of the year."

"Explains why she never tells me about it."

"Keep making her happy, Catelyn."

"What do you mean?"

"That time, when I saw you two at that Carnival, I never saw her eyes that happy."

"It's not me. Someone's just making her happy and she's telling me about it."

"Whatever or whoever the reason is, keep making her happy and I hope you're happy too, Cates."

"Yes I am. I am happy."

"Cool. Happiness is the key to every positivity around."

The two continued to have a long thread of conversation.

"And seems like it's getting quite late."

"Yeah, and the rain stopped too."

"I'll take you home, Cates. To make sure you're safe."

"Thank you."

They went out to find Lucas' car and drove off the road. He made sure Catelyn enters her house safe.

"I hope we'll get along. Thank you for keeping me company tonight."

"You're welcome, Lucas and drive safe!"

She entered the house feeling quite exhausted and tired. She rested at the sofa for a moment, trying not to close her eyes. She fell asleep a few moments later.

A few hours later, a phone call disrupted her slumber. She rubbed her eyes and got her phone inside her bag. It was from Abbie. She immediately answered the call.

"Cates, where are you? I need you here, please be here."

"Abbie, it's two in the morning, where are you?"

"I'll message you. I need your help. Please come soon."

"Why are you crying? Are you okay?"

Before she finished her question, Abbie ended the call she then received a message from Abbie.

"Oh shit."