A Mango Recipe for Disaster

❝You're such a fool, baba!❞

─── ❖ ───

─── ❖ ───

“Psst! Wake up, sweetheart.”

Rohaan whispered close to his six years old daughter's ear while shaking her up and frowned when she only pulled the comforter over her head as a response.

“Aania, we have work to do.” he tried again, but this time his daughter slammed her little hand on his face to push him back.

Jayen yahan se, baba. Aj Sunday hai.” (Go away from here, baba. It's Sunday.)

“Sunday ki bachi,” he whispered in a scolding voice while rubbing his nose. “We have to make ice cream for mama's birthday. Have you forgot about it?”

The six year old immediately shot up straight in her bed, all thoughts of sleep leaving her mind, and stared at her father with round eyes.

Pehly btana tha na!” (Should've told me sooner!) she said while face palming herself and Rohaan gave her a poker face in return before standing up from her bed and gathering her disheveled self in his arms.

The little girl gasped. “Baba, my hair!” she exclaimed when her eyes caught her reflection in the mirror close to the door as they went out of her room. “I look horrendous!” she whisper-shouted.

“Zip your mouth, right now!” Rohaan stated in a quiet voice as he descended the stairs carefully. Aania quickly did the gesture of zipping her mouth with her pointer finger and thumb before saying a silent 'done'. An involuntary smile appeared on the man's lips before he sighed and set his daughter on the ground near the kitchen island.

Aania patted down her hair to make them look less of a nest and raised a brow when she found her father putting the ingredients to make the ice cream on the island.

“Where are the mangoes?” she asked while setting her hands on her waist. Rohaan paused after hearing her words and slowly turned to face her.

“Um... we actually need them?” he asked, confused.

The six year old slapped a hand down her face before throwing both of her arms up as a disbelieving gesture.

“Of course! How else are we supposed to make mango ice cream when there are no mangoes in it?”

Rohaan chuckled nervously before rubbing the nape of his neck. “We add artificial flavor...?” he stupidly offered, making his daughter to roll her eyes.