Chapter 13: AJ

Sitting on the couch in the Sheriff's office of the station, Clark was numb. Laura was dead. Derek had hid it from him. Derek had been arrested for murder. The Sheriff was sitting at his desk, typing away at his computer and looked preoccupied with his work.

Unbeknownst to Clark, Noah would routinely take his eyes off his computer screen to look at the boy. He was in a daze, his brown eyes looked almost lifeless and it was evident that the teenager's thoughts were far away from everything happening in the station. Had Noah not had a previous run-in with Clark, he would have considered the possibility of the boy being mute. No-one, not him, not one of his deputies, nor Scott or Stiles, had managed to get a single word out of him. The only slight acknowledgement Noah had received from him was back at the crime scene, when he had placed a comforting hand on Clark's shoulders and explained that he was going to have to accompany him to the station. There had been a flash of anger in the teenager's eyes as Clark had assumed that Noah suspected him of being involved in the murder. Noah hadn't gotten any further acknowledgement from him since explaining that he wasn't under arrest.

Derek, upon returning to the remnants of the house and promptly getting arrested, had hastily given up his right to remain silent but only to declare that Clark had not be involved. The older Hale had also refused to say anything else since then.

It was the younger Hale's behavior which was more concerning to Noah as his eyes narrowed at the boy sat on the other side of his office. He could understand Clark being surprised and knocked for six at the revelation that his brother was a potential murderer - innocent until proven guilty was something Noah believed in heavily, even if the brunt of evidence was pointing convincingly towards guilty - however Clark's behavior stroke him more like grief.

Noah had a feeling that there was more to this latest case but he wasn't going to get any answers if both Hales continued to maintain their selective mutism stances. His eyes flicked back to the report on his computer screen; a report that gave him further reasons to be concerned about Clark Hale.

A knock on his door took Noah's attention away from his computer. It also sparked acknowledgement from Clark who tentatively turned to the door, following Deputy Lattimer's every move as she approached Noah's desk. She sent a glance in Clark's direction, unsure whether to proceed with what she had to say with him in the room. Noah set his computer onto its screensaver mode before standing up and indicating for Lattimer to speak, hoping that something she may say about Derek would prompt Clark out of his trance. "He seems to be refusing his right to a lawyer," she informed him.

Noah folded his arms, interested by her choice of wording, "Seems to be?"

"He hasn't said a word since we got him back to the station," Lattimer explained.

"Leave it be for now, then," Noah instructed, "Let's see if he changes his mind about staying silent after spending a little more time with us." Lattimer gave a short nod before turning and walking out of the room, Clark watching her every move.

Clark's eyes were fixated on the door and he watched as the deputy slowly pulled it shut behind her. On the click of the door being pulled to, Clark slowly turned back to the Sheriff. Noah was still standing up, though was leaning slightly against his desk, so Clark had to look up to meet his eyes from his sitting position. For the first time since Noah had seen a brief flash of anger, there was a sign of life in Clark's brown eyes as the teenager looked at him, determined. "I want to see him," Clark demanded.

Noah gave a small shake of his head, "I don't think that's a good idea." He'd yet to get Clark's version of events. Allowing him in a room with Derek could easily result in the pair straightening out their stories. As innocent as the young man in front of him looked, the Sheriff couldn't ignore the details of the report on his computer. His heart was telling him Clark wasn't involved but his head was telling him to be careful.