0.

A PERFECT PARADISE
chapter zero

A PERFECT PARADISEchapter zero

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵‿︵

The Outer Banks was seen as a perfect paradise. A two-hundred long string of barrier islands off the coast of North Carolina that held the perfect beach life for all of the locals. The life of an Outer Banks local was something envied by most; which was the reasoning why so many tourists made their way to the island in the summer. Anyone and everyone wanted a slice of what it was like to live in Outer Banks.

Yet, underneath of the prefect life people believed the locals of Outer Banks to have, there was tension.

The island was split up mainly into two groups. The Kooks and the Pogues. The Kooks were from Figure Eight, or the north side, of the Outer Banks. They had more money then most and weren't afraid to flaunt it. Kooks kept within their own groups and made sure their superior status over others was shown with their fancy cars, boats, and houses. Along with making sure people knew they had money, they also made sure their distaste for the Pogues was apparent.

The Pogues were from the south side of the Outer Banks that was known as The Cut. This was home to the working class citizens who lived on the island, who usually had jobs that served the Kooks in some sort of fashion. They weren't all poor, necessarily, but when living on an island that housed people like the Kooks, any money Pogues had seems insignificant.

Sitting in the Figure Eight of Outer Banks was the Thornton estate, home to only three. Cynthia Thornton was a doctor and had been married to her late husband, Spencer Thornton. There she lived with her two twin children, Topper Thornton and Taylor Anne Thornton. Cynthia made sure her children never felt the strike of poverty in their sixteen years of life. She got Topper and Taylor Anne whatever they wanted and more without making them work for any of it. . 

Of course, the death of a parent and never having to work a day in their lives left the twins with some questionable attributes.

Topper was the golden child of the house. He embraced his wealthy lifestyle whole-heartedly and made sure everyone around him knew he had money. He was athletic, taking up a lot of his time surfing, since he was considers a nationally ranked surfer, or playing golf with his other Kook friends. Because of how he was raised and what he believed, Topper saw himself as above most people in Outer Banks; especially the Pogues.

Taylor Anne was much different than Topper. Though her mother tried to make sure her only daughter never had to lift a finger, the blonde girl tried to work as much as possible and buy things she wanted herself. She disliked using her mother's money and if ever given a gift, tried to pay it back as quickly as possible. She, like Topper, enjoyed to surf but did not take it as seriously as him. She spent her free time painting, strumming her ukulele in her room, or going on long drives around the island with music blasting from her car.