Chapter 1 - Into the Ditch

The rain was falling heavily as I barrelled down the road. First day of school and I was already late. I was usually a very punctual person but this morning was an exception. Well, to some people, not to me.

I came up to a sharp turn, but as I slowed to round the corner someone else was coming full speed on my side of the road. Not having much time to react I swerved to avoid being hit. My Bronco swerved off into the ditch before coming to an abrupt halt. I sat there for a moment, slightly shaken up, before crawling out the door. I climbed back up the muddy bank and stood beside the road.

I pulled out my phone just to find that I had no signal. Frustrated, I shove the phone back into my pocket. I was still a good fifteen miles out of town, and not many people lived out this way, but at this point waiting was my best bet to catch a ride.

Half an hour later I was soaking wet and slowly trudging down the old highway. Finally I saw headlights coming up behind me, so I tried to flag down the oncoming vehicle. The driver speeds past me while soaking me even more than I was before. Cold and soaked to the bone I continue walking.

It was late November, a very cold time of the year in Arkansas. I get ten miles out of town before I hear a vehicle approach and slow down. The passenger door of a very large, black 2015 GMC Denali, swings open beside me. I look up and see a guy that appears to be a couple years older than me. 

"Get in," he tells me, a small hint of command in his voice.

Not needing to be told twice I hurry and crawl in the truck, welcoming the warmth it provided. We sat in silence for a few minutes before I could finally speak.

"Thank you," I say quietly.

"You're welcome. I'm Blake, but I am kind of curious," he say glancing over at me, "Why in God's name were you running around in the freezing rain?"

I sigh, "Some moron ran me off the road. I tried to get my bronco out of the ditch but it was too deep in the mud."

"That was yours?" He says, "That was a good five miles back!"

I chuckle humorlessly, "You're telling me."

He cracks a smile keeping his eye on the road. Now that I actually look I notice he had a strong, stern looking jaw and a single dimple in his left cheek. His eyes were a forest green and his hair was a short dark brown.

Most of the trip is silent with nothing but the sound of Three Days Grace playing in the background. I found it rather funny seeing as he looked more like the type to listen to country songs that complained about how my dog died and my girlfriend left me, but here he was tapping his fingers and nodding to the beat of Painkiller.

It could have been awkward had I actually been warm enough to comprehend the meaning of the word. We get closer to town before either of us speak.

"Hey," he nudges me, "We are almost to town. Where do you need to be dropped off?"

"Oh... Um," I say, trying to remember the name of my new school, "Oh! Easton High will do."

"Well, good. That means I don't have to make any special trips."

I nod, not really knowing what to say. We pull up to a rather small school, but it was definitely bigger than my previous school. It was a large building made of brick. Other than that there really wasn't anything else to describe it.

I jump out of the truck ready to make a beeline for the front door. I know I already missed the first 3 periods but I figured it was best I didn't miss any more.

"I never got your name." he shouts after me.

"That's because I didn't give it."

With that I turn around and head to the building. Not more than five seconds later, I hear the sound of heavy footsteps growing near me. 

"Well, will you please give it?" Blake asks as he adjusts the strap of his backpack on his shoulder. 

I pretend to think for a moment, deciding that just giving him my name would be way too simple.

"Maybe," I say a slight smirk playing on my mouth, "If you work for it."

"That's hardly fair," Blake pouts, looking slightly like a lost puppy.

I smile, grabbing the door handle, "It's not a circus either!"

He lets out a chuckle as I walk to the main office. I notice Blake is still following me when I walk into the room.

"Why are you following me?" I question him, "Don't you have classes to get to?"

"Don't flatter yourself, Sweetheart," he laughs, "I have to sign in so I don't end up with detention."

Feeling rather stupid, I just nod my head not wanting to say anything else. Then the lady behind the desk clears her throat and looks at us with a bored expression.

"Could one of you please leave," she says in a nasally voice, "The sexual tension is rather uncomfortable."

I feel the heat rising to my cheeks, but then I decide to not give anyone the victory of seeing me blush.

"Yes, actually, he was just leaving." I say looking at Blake.

"Um... Yeah... I was... I'll just... Yeah, I'm leaving now," he stuttered before running out into the hall. Almost hitting the glass door on his way out.

I turn back to the receptionist, whom reminded me a lot of Roz from Monsters Inc. 

"I'm here to pick up my schedule," I say, "My name is Ashtynn Lawrence."

___________________________________________________________

Hey my Pickles! Thanks my new book! I hope you enjoy! Please vomment! (vote/comment)

Love,

               FliesBugMe