・Chapter 6・

~ When reading, please keep your screen at a distance to avoid eye strain ~

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

Your partner immediately noticed your annoyed expression and chuckled. "Don't worry, curry and spices are my forte." Your eyes immediately light up at his words. "Then I'll try my best to not get in your way, Hayama." You smiled.

And with that, both of you started cooking. With you doing the prep work and Hayama leading the process, it was only a matter of time before the both of you would have finished the dish. "I must say, you're a natural at this." Hayama complimented as he put the lid on the pot, letting the curry sit and cook. "I've been my mom's assistant in the kitchen since I was a kid, this isn't any different." You explained as you leaned over the counter, taking your attention away from the curry and relaxing for a bit. Hayama stood next to you and did the same. "That's not what I meant." You looked over at the tall male with a confused expression. "I meant that there's a certain grace with the way you move in the kitchen. It's quite beautiful to watch, in all honesty."

You grew flustered at his statement, a light blush making it's way to your face. "Thanks?" You say in a questioning tone, making Hayama chuckle in response. "I think the curry's ready, why don't you take a look." Immediately changing the topic, you stand up and ushered Hayama to the pot. As Hayama opened the lid, his calm expression changed to an annoyed one. "What's wrong?" You asked as you made your way to the pot. One glance at the curry and your face mimicked Hayama's.

The curry you guys made is drowning in salt. You clicked your tongue and started looking around, searching for the person responsible of such a prank. All of the students around you have scared and guilty expressions, it was hard to pinpoint who did it. Huffing in irritation, you look to Hayama and saw him crossing his arms deep in thought. "Think, how can we undo this." He said to himself, getting even more stressed by the second. "We don't have much time, Hayama." You reminded, checking the clock and seeing that you have less than thirty minutes left. "Then what do you propose we do?" He asked rhetorically, still irritated at the situation he's in.

You thought for a moment.

An idea immediately popped up in your head. You couldn't guarantee that it would work, but at least both of you will be able to present something.

Sprinting towards the ingredients, you grab a butternut squash and a red onion. Hayama looked at you with a confused expression. You made your way towards him and shoved both ingredients to his hands.

"Get a box grater and grate these." You statement only heightened his confusion. He thought you were joking but your serious expression said otherwise.

He hesitantly complied, watching you frantically get some more ingredients. He got to peeling and grating the ingredients, stealing glances as to what you're doing from time to time. He sometimes gets startled when you recklessly place some ingreditents in front of him to either grate or slice.

"Are you done grating the butternut squash?" You asked to which Hayama nodded, handing you a plate of the grated ingredient. You silently thanked him and started working, spreading some olive oil on a hot pan and putting in the butternut squash right after. You called over Hayama for a second. "Do your magic." You stated in a playful tone, urging him to use the spices you have provided for him. He immediately complied, altough still a bit confused at your plan. He knows you're making a butternut squash curry, but he's worried with the little time you have left.

After adding the spices, You grabbed all the ingredients Hayama has prepped for you and went back to work.

A few minutes have passed and Hayama was watching you do your work, letting himself be ordered around as he doesn't have a better plan than yours. He sees you grab a grater which made him chuckle. "What's with you and graters?" He asked jokingly. "They're just grate and convenient." You smirked at him in response and continued to grate the ginger which he peeled for you earlier, Hayama in return just face palmed at your lame joke.

More time has passed, Hayama sees you add and array of ingredients. The chicken, roasted peas, chopped tomatoes and coconut milk were the most noticable to him. He wonders if you were really confident that you'd make it in time. Hayama's thoughts were cut off as you called out to him. "Hayama! Can you check if we have leftover stock?" You asked as you continued to work on the curry, your gaze not leaving the pan. You hoped that you didn't use all of it on the previous curry, otherwise you'd have to make more from scratch which would take too long.

Luckily, Hayama told you there were some left. You got him to put it all on the pan as you kept mixing. And with that, you left the pan and let it simmer. Careful not to take your attention away from it as to avoid history repeating itself.

You sat down and finally relaxed a bit, thinking if you could improve the dish a bit more. "I'm impressed." Hayama's sudden statement surprised you which made him lightly chuckle. "How you were able to do that in less than thirteen minutes is beyond me." He crossed his arms and sat down beside you. You let out a nervous laugh. Honestly, you were worried if it's aroma was enough to satisfy your teacher. Hayama seemed to have noticed your nervousness. "Don't worry, it has a very pleasnt aroma. I made sure of it." He reassured, patting your shoulder in a comforting way. You smiled at him gratefully.

Just then, another idea popped up in your mind. "Hey Hayama, do you know what goes good with curry?" You asked with a playful tone in your voice, as if you were planning on doing something. Hayama looked at you weirdly and shrugged. "Rice?" He said questioningly. You laughed, "Roti bread." You stated, standing up once again and getting some ingredients.

Hayama looked at you as if you were crazy. With what little time you have left, you still expect to make bread?

Hayama made his way to you and saw you already making the dough, folding it with a plastic spatula. Few minutes more and you were using your hand to shape the dough, then let it rest for a few minutes. With only twelve minutes left, you grabbed the dough and cut it into three small portions and rolled them into a circular shape. Salting the pan and adding some oil, you tell Hayama to cook them. Running over to the curry and doing some finishing touches, adding the rinsed spinach to finally say that it's done.

Going on to plating, you walk over to Hayama and see that the bread is done cooking. Putting the roti bread first on the side, and adding the curry right after.

Now with two minutes to spare, you check and see that you guys are the last to present your dish. The students around you were gaping, shocked to see that you still had a finished product with the little time that you had.

You and Hayama made your way to the teacher, placing your dish in front of them with a tired smile. "This is what I call a curry in a hurry." You laughed a bit and presented the dish, silently hoping that you did your job well. "I heard your group had some trouble." The teacher stated, grabbing the spoon as they speak. Both you and Hayama nodded.

Hayama noticed that you were nervous. "Don't worry, I taste tested the leftovers. It's really great." With Hayama's words, the teacher spoke.

"Your group gets an A, though I'm quite disappointed that I can't give you a higher grade."

You smiled at this, happy that your efforts are awarded. Hayama heaved out a sigh of relief, then gave you a wry smile. "You did great."

You returned his smile. "Don't you mean grate?" You asked jokingly, earning a sigh in return.

"Enough with your grate puns."

⋅•⋅⊰∙∘☽༓☾∘∙⊱⋅•⋅

excuse the puns i just love making them xd

also wth already at 1.69k reads tysm <3

love ya'll ♡