Darkness

One more hard hit, and I was on the floor, pleading for mercy.

I had simply looked at him the wrong way, and now I was down on the floor. I could feel bruises forming and the stinging pain from my now busted lip.

And I knew at that moment that I truly hated him. I utterly, and completely, hated, my father.

~<~<~<~

The first phase of the plan. To stalk.

I was simply supposed to watch him, figure out as much as I could. Ryker told me a specific spot that Benji would be today, and I was to find him there, and follow him from there on.

It would be a long day, and I was prepared.

~

I made my way to an outdoor mall. I easily spotted Benji outside of a clothing store. I watched from afar as he bought what looked like some type of jewelry, and left just like that.

I followed him, keeping my distance so it wasn't obvious. I had a small pistol with me in case things went south, but I highly doubted it.

I had the task of following people for information many times, and I have come to be quite good at it. I wore sunglasses and dark clothing for when it became dark later, I had figured out all the things I must do in order not to get caught long ago. I was surprised that I hadn't forgotten by now, as it's been quite a while.

I followed him for a while until we got to a street in the middle of a the city. He became antsy and requested an Uber. I was close enough to see the location.

So, I slighly got out my phone and got an Uber too, to nearly the same location, just a bit away so it would be as obvious when I got there. I should be able to easily pass through and get to a window to eye his every move and action.

I wasn't sure where exactly The Salvagers compound was, but I had seen pictures, and been there once, a few years ago. So I would know it when I saw it.

I waited until Benji got in his own Uber to get mine. The Uber came and got me, hastily driving me about ten minutes away. My driver hardly made eye contact and a scowl was placed on his face nearly the whole time. As we pulled off to the side of the road at the edge of a forest, I thanked him and handed his money. He rolled his eyes and took it from me. Rude. I got out, scoffing, and rolled my own eyes, trying not to slam the door. I do realize I have quite a temper. I'm working on it.

I looked at a map on my phone, following it cautiously to the exact location Benji had been driven to. After a few minutes of walking I made it to what looked to be a nice home, with lots of windows. It would prove to be a bit tricky not to be seen. I got down low to the ground and scurried to the side of the house, to where you wouldn't be able to see me out of any of the windows.

I peeked through a nearby window, and as expected, there was Benji. He was simply sitting on a couch on his phone. I was hoping he would be doing something a little more interesting. Damn.

I watched him intently for about half an hour, till I decided to scout out the rest of the house. I creeped up to each window, taking a pad of paper and sketching out the layout of the house. It was quite confusing, as the house was rather large, but I managed.

Benji had gone to a bathroom a few times, a long with grabbing a piece of fruit from the kitchen.

He clearly lived here, which I found weird. It is nearly unheard of for a gang member to not stick around their people. Living with them.

After 6 long hours of watching him, it was now dark, and I was bored out of my mind. I tried to speculate everything he did, but they were all normal everyday things. Things that couldn't mean anything.

I was exhausted after being on my feet all day. My eyelids felt heavy, and I was debating on just going home at this point, because I wasn't going to get anything out of this at this point.

Just as I got up to leave, I saw the front door open through the window. I immediately put myself back against the wall, making sure I was out of sight.

I peeked around to see the boy from yesterday walking towards Benji with a guilty look on his face. Hmm.

Benji got up and hugged him hesitantly. The boy didn't hug back. Something had to be going on here.

I was excited and eager for something to finally happen, so I practically jumped up and down out of joy, and anticipation.

As Benji pulled away from the hug, the other boy avoided eye contact with him.

Eventually the boy spoke, and I tried to make out what they were saying, but it was proving to be difficult.

It got to a point where they were yelling at each other, throwing their hands around in the air out of rage.

I was quite confused, until mystery boy said one more thing straight to Benjis face, and left. Benji turned around and tears were streaming down his face. He fell to the floor and brought his knees to his chest, resting his head on his arms. He looked simply miserable.

I shouldn't feel bad for him. I couldn't afford to. But seeing the tears sear down his soft pink cheeks, stroke a whole other type of nerve inside of me.

I willed myself not to go inside to console him.

After a while of crying on the floor, and rocking back and forth, he moved to crying on the couch. He lied down and allowed silent tears to fall sideways down his face, soaking the pillow he had placed beneath his head.

I watched until he fell asleep, trying to ignore the pain I felt for him, and the guilty feeling it left in my gut when I ignored my heart, which was telling me to go inside and comfort him. Why am I so sad over a stranger?

After I was sure he was out, I headed back to my hotel. I hadn't figured out much from today, other than the fact that he doesn't live at the compound, and that his boyfriend probably just broke up with him. Only one of those things was really important for my mission. The other was simply a bonus.

I let myself drift off the sleep that night, but my mind was restless. Maybe it was because I was stressed that I had figured out close to nothing, or maybe, even though I didn't want to admit it, I was secretly happy that they broke up, even though I would, COULD, never be with him. But whatever it was wouldn't give my mind a rest, and in the morning I knew I would regret not taking drugs to fall asleep. No matter how stupid that may be.

~<~<~<~

Hii. Sorry for the uneventful chapter. Luv uuu. Don't forget to vote <3

May 13, 2020.
Word count: 1251