The future seems tiny

"I was so bored, I recreated a picture of the Eiffel tower on toast using chocolate sprinkles yesterday."

All three of us turn to Bryan, who's then giving us a nonchalant shrug.

"Who on earth does that?" Alexa looks at him in disbelief. 

Poor Bryan. 

He probably thought we would've praised him for it instead of being completely weirded out.

"You're lying, aren't you?" Rosa squints, as if she'll be able to sense whether he's being honest with us or not if she looks close enough.

I'm currently meeting up with my friends at McDonald's nearby our school. It's Saturday, and people are filling the streets as they're busy preparing for the holidays. As for me and my friends, we're just trying to shoo our boredom away with a change of scenery.

"Maybe if we can meet up instead of talking through the phone, we can hype ourselves up a little." Rosa claimed the other day. Well, she's half correct, I suppose.

I woke up feeling more excited since I finally had something to look forward to. 

Or maybe it's because I get to eat some fries today... Not sure. But either way, it's a nice change instead of being in my room all the time.

Quick introduction before I forget, my friend who's making us questioning whether he's insanely gifted or just plain weird is Bryan Kennedy. Alexa Rhon is the best basketball player among us, or you can say the athlete of the group. While Rosa Song is on a mission to dazzle the world with her looks, and also with her incredible sense of fashion.

 We somehow bonded over our love for food in the first year of senior high, and well, we've been good friends ever since.

We eat our way through the meetup, and after we're all satisfied pouring our hearts out about the whole holiday boredom, our topic shifts smoothly after Bryan and I pick up our table's other orders. 

Sssh, no judgy comments.

"By the way, I'm going to sell some cookies starting next week," Bryan announces excitedly. ", I need your help to promote them."

"Oooh! That sounds great." Rosa, who owns the most plenty followers out of us three grins, "I can help you with that. Just send me the photos."

"How about you guys?"

I look at Alexa, expecting her to share the same look as I do. But she doesn't. "I'm training with my Dad. Oh, and I'm training my neighbor's son too."

Great, now it's my turn. 

I didn't know they'd be so productive during the holidays. I've been

doing nothing but lay on my bed all day while searching for a possible job.

"I'm looking for a job." I shrug. 

It's a half-truth, but it's better than saying I have nothing to do besides eating and sleeping all day.

"Good for you!"

"I haven't found anything yet, though." I wince, expecting the worse of their possible reactions. "So I've got nothing to do these days, unlike you three."

"What's with that look?" Alexa raises a brow, looking at me weirdly.

"What?" I look at her in complete confusion. Did I look like I almost cry or something?

"You have something on your face."

"Really?"

"Yeah, your 'self-pity' look." she stares at me blankly and I pout. "Cut it out."

"Harsh, Lex." Rosa pipes in, before turning to me to offer a comforting look, "That's nothing to be ashamed of, Sash. You got to start somewhere."

I catch Alexa nodding along from the corner of my eye.

"That's sweet of you." 

To be honest, how can I get such supportive friends? It's a miracle considering how awkward I am when trying to make one.

"Ugh, this is getting so cheesy." Bryan shruddered, getting up from his seat. "I'm getting ketchup."

Ignoring Bryan's retort, we carry on our conversation.

Lex and Rosa promise to ask around for me in case the people they know have something. 

I've been quite pessimistic about the whole 'getting a job' thing, even as the topics have changed numerous times before we part ways.

That is until I get home, greeting my family and is about to go upstairs. Mom calls out from the couch, excitedly informing me about her conversation with one of my aunts. 

Probably too excited, since she's telling me everything but what makes her that excited. But I wait for her nonetheless, feeling kinda guilty about the idea of cutting her off just because of my impatience.

"..she's telling me that a friend of hers has a little bookstore, and she's already told her about you. Her friend said she wants you to reach out to her ASAP!"

"Huh?"

"So here's her number. Her name's Linda Parker. This could be the one, sweetie!" her words are a slight blur thanks to how surprised I am, and it takes a while before a huge grin breaks onto my lips.

This can be it. A job in a tiny bookstore- it's all I ever wanted! Being in a bookstore without minding how long I've been there and getting paid!

Before I can change my mind about contacting her at that exact moment, I thank her then run to my room. Sitting on my bed, my fingers are slightly shaky due to my nervousness.

By the fourth dial, she picks it up. I desperately hope my voice wouldn't crack or I'd say something stupid.

"Good evening, Mrs. Parker."