Chapter Eleven: Not A Party Guy? {Part One}

{Warning: Homophobia at its finest. Also, this chapter is really sad and longer than usual so heads up}

C Y R U S

I was at my locker, putting my books away when I heard someone clear their throat. I turned to see Buffy and Andi, both with apologetic looks on their faces.

"Cyrus..." Buffy started. I turned my head and continued putting my stuff away. They could tell I was still upset with them but stayed where they stood. "We're sorry," Buffy said after a moment. I sighed and closed my locker, and turned to face them.

"We didn't mean to make you upset. It's just that when you said you were hanging out with Tj, we got worried for you," Andi explained. Buffy nodded in agreement.

"Tj is a colossal jerk, Cyrus. He made my life a nightmare in middle school, and he's never shown any signs of not being a jerk," Buffy said.

I shook my head. They didn't know Tj like I did. He wasn't as much of a jerk as they thought. I also thought he was a bit of a jerk when we first met, but he's actually a pretty great person after getting to know him. "It's alright, guys; I get it. You were just looking out for me. But I don't need guardians; I just need friends," I told them. They nodded quickly and embraced me in a tight group hug. I smiled to myself, thinking about how I had real friends.

It was such a change in scenery for me. Every time I transferred to another school, the kids either ignored or made fun of me, or I was never there long enough to make friends. It's not like anyone was in line to be my friend, though. The only person I was ever around for a long time was... I shook my head. I was so relieved when I was told I was getting put in a different home, which meant I was transferring schools again. I never saw him again after I transferred.

The bell rang, bringing me out of my thoughts as Buffy and Andi let go. We waved each other goodbye as we headed to class. I was walking to class when I felt an arm sling itself onto my shoulder. I turned to Tj, who was grinning widely at me. It made my stomach flip as I smiled softly. "So, I was thinking... There's a party tonight, and you should come with me," He said.

I shook my head. "Parties aren't my thing. Too many sweaty, sex-crazed teenagers drinking when they really shouldn't. Yeah, I'll pass," I said as we neared our class. 

I heard Tj sigh beside me. "Come on, Cyrus. It'll be fun, and if not, we can just ditch and go back to my place," He gave me a pleading look. I was prepared to decline again until he poked out his bottom lip and gave me a sad puppy look.

I rolled my eyes. We reached Mr. McNamara's class and took our usual seats. The bell soon rang, and Mr. McNamara was quick to silence the class. As he began to talk about the lesson, I turned to Tj. "Fine, I'll come, but I'm leaving as soon as I get bored," I told him. He nodded happily and gave me a thumbs-up. I sighed as I thought about what  I had just agreed to. I can't believe I was going to a high school party. I've only ever been to one, and that was freshman year with my "friend" at the time.

I ended up having a little fun until the night turned into a nightmare when Jackson showed up. He managed to stop the party and get everyone's attention on me. I found myself involuntarily thinking about the whole situation.

I looked at myself in the mirror, debating if what I was wearing was good enough for a party or not. I stood for a moment before hearing a groan from my bed. I turned to glare at the person.

"Cyrus, how many outfits can you try on? It's just a party; nobody will care what you're wearing," The person said.

I sighed as I shook my head. "Whatever, Iris. I'd just hate to show up looking like a mess and have everyone laugh at me. Again."