4 | Blaze

Thorn squinted his eyes in the sewers. The air was getting warmer. He was near; he could tell.

At the very end, stood a lone figure. A teen's back facing him, never once turning. Unlike the others, he was more distant, even less interactive.

"Why are you here?" Blaze demanded. There was no ferociousness, only hollowness. "It's an unsightly place."

They were 30 feet apart, but his voice was loud and clear. Like house fires in the middle of the night, it was loud, it was unique.

"I just wanted to say hello."

"I know that's not true. What do you want?"

There was a tint of anger in his voice. It was nothing but a front, a façade that lied to no one but himself.

His figure looked so strong, yet so alone.

He was not like any of the others. Quake was upfront, but Blaze was an escapee. Ice was unbothered, but Blaze minded his presence. Cyclone was friendly, but Blaze didn't know how to be anything but hostile.

Have the other adventures not taught you anything? Do I have nothing to say?

Blaze's arms were hung tightly by his side. His fists were clenched. "Cut to the point. I don't have time for you."

It was a lie. In his memory, Blaze always made time for him.

"Do you know where they are?" Thorn asked, his voice raspy. "Our friends, I mean."

"Huh," Blaze huffed. But it was hollow. Just like everyone else. "How long has it been?"

"I don't know."

"Then go away," Blaze snapped with an empty ultimatum. "I don't want to see you."

Thorn did not defy his orders. He left the sewers. It was underground, but it was dry. As he finally left to the surface, the sewers and everything around it was covered in soot, burned to ashes.