Chapter 9- The Stop

She got downstairs and headed to the dark red Toyota Corolla parked conspicuously on the street, and after a hesitation, she let herself in.

"You're late," said Coal, playing a game on his phone.

"I know," Star said, strapping in her seatbelt.

"I said ten minutes."

"I know."

"You should be happy I stayed."

Star forced a smile and looked at him. "Thank you so much, O King Coal. Your mercy is appreciated." She even added a small bow.

Coal rolled his eyes and started the engine as Star put the list of ingredients in his outstretched palm. "You know," he said, skimming through the list, "you don't have to come along. I can get them while you go back to bed. It's past your bedtime and some of these places are...rough."

"No," Star said, looking at her flat through the window, "I want to come. I've always wanted to see more."

Coal shrugged, driving out of the street. "No problem sha. Time to get the first item on the list: a Yezulu egg. Shouldn't be a problem."

"Actually..." Star began.

"What?" Coal groaned.

"Can we get something to eat first?" Star said, patting her stomach. "I'm hungry."

Coal groaned again then mumbled something about stopping for five minutes—and only five—at the nearest Chicken Republic, and when Star suggested KFC, he almost threw her out of his car.

After, though, they would go straight to getting the ingredients, they could definitely get them all in one night.

It was going to be a piece of cake.