Chapter 5

Hope's POV

I was lying on my bed, my nose stuck in another one of my aunt Freya's grimoires. As time passed, it became harder and harder for me to read the pages in front of me . I turned my head to the clock on my bedside table: 2 am. I groaned. I hadn't noticed the sun setting or the moon rising. As soon as my class had ended, I hurried to my room to look for a solution to MG's ripper problem. I had spent the last two weeks going through all the grimoires and vampire books at my disposal, and nothing. I had found nothing to help MG. I needed some help. I needed to call Freya.

I closed the grimoire and lifted myself off the bed. I reached for my shoes and put them on. Once that was done, I pulled my desk chair back and crouched down. My hands glided over the floor until they found a small dent in the floorboard. I lifted it up to reveal a small hatch with a few grimoires that varied in size. Some were Freya's, some Esther's and some were mine. Delicately, I put the grimoire I was reading back in its place then put the floorboard and chair back in place. After that I left my room and headed to Doctor Saltzman's office.

The office was empty, thankfully. I had no trouble slipping in and taking the school phone. They really should allow us to have our own phones, with all these monster attacks, it would be handy but noo. I shook my head and dialled Freya's number.

"Hello?" A husky voice said.

"Aunt Freya?"

"Hope? What are you doing, calling me at ... 1:30 in the morning?" She whisper-yelled.

"Uh... I need your help. Two weeks ago, Josie was overwhelmed with dark magic and she did something to MG. He's a vampire and she enhanced his bloodlust or something. He's a ripper aunt Freya. If he feeds, he can't stop. He tried feeding off Kaleb when he woke up from the spell. Kaleb's a vampire, he shouldn't want to feed off another vampire..."

There was a silence on the other end of the call. Then I heard the faint sound of a bed spring and a door close.

"Does he still have his humanity switch on?" I nodded then remembered I was on the phone.

"Yes."

"Okay, I imagine you went through all the grimoires at your disposal." I hummed in response. "I'll look into it tomorrow and call you as soon as I have found something. Now go to sleep, Hope."

"Yes, Aunt Freya. Thank you. I love you."

"I love you too."

I hung up and put the phone back on Doctor Saltzman's desk. Once I was back in my room, I put a short sleeve top and a pair of shorts on, then fell face first on my bed. I pulled the covers up, buried my face in my cushions, and fell asleep in seconds.

*

The next day at lunch, I didn't feel like eating in the cafeteria. If I'm being honest, I hadn't felt like being around people since Landon's death. It was easier that way. So, there I was, sitting alone in the grass peeling my second clementine, when I noticed Pedro walking towards the forest. I got curious. Pedro never went close to the forest; he feared it. I stood up and that's when I noticed a woman. She seemed familiar. Pedro smiled when he walked closer to her. She held her arms out and they were soon in an embrace. As she pulled back, she whispered something in his ear. He nodded earnestly. She turned her attention to another boy who was standing a few feet away from them. He was twiddling his hands, shifting his weight from side to side. He seemed nervous. The familiar woman took a few steps towards him and smiled. He looked up and gave a sheepish smile back. Then she gave him something to drink and she started chanting. My eyes widened and I started running towards them. Before I could reach them however the woman had noticed me. She disappeared with the boy and Pedro was walking gleefully back to the school. I caught up with him and called his name.