Chapter 7

When the boys brought her back to the school to pick up her bike, they ultimately decided to drive her home and just put the bike in the trunk. Directing them to her house didn't take much effort. As they approached Xena's house, Belch slammed on breaks as a huge white dog was standing in the middle of the road. Alphie had gotten out, and her aunt and uncle hadn't noticed yet.

    Xena quickly climbed over Patrick, opening the door and climbing out. She gave a sharp whistle, and Alphie came to her side, staring unnervingly at Patrick. Seeing as they were at her house, Patrick got out, popping the trunk and getting her bike out. Xena grabbed the back of Alphie's collar and began leading him to the house. The front door opened, revealing her Aunt Tracy.

"Oh my god. Are you okay? You didn't call. I didn't want to worry, but you know how I am. Alphie got out? Oh, goodness. Who is this? Did you make new friends? That's good that you did. I just knew you would. Thank you for bringing her home..." Tracy awaited her niece's friend's name.

"Patrick. My name is Patrick. I hope you don't mind us bringing her home so late. We-" He gestured to the car at the end of the driveway, "Lost track of time. We went swimming at the quarry. I'm sorry if she missed dinner or anything." Patrick was acting as a perfect gentleman, standing there with Xena's bike. 

"Swimming? Well, that sounds fun. Please, come inside. You're actually just in time for dinner. You and your friends are welcome to join us." Tracy really was a kind woman, inviting people she didn't know to join her for dinner. 

   While Tracy and Patrick had been conversing, Xena had brought Alphie back inside, taking note of the grass stains on his side. Xena set her bag down, clipping a leash to Alphie. She was going to bathe a dog 2 times her size. She had done it before, but that didn't mean it was easy. 

"We would hate to intrude on your dinner. There's four of us, and we can be pretty rowdy." Patrick chuckled lightly, and Tracy smiled.

"Nonsense. Xena, would you like if your friends stayed for dinner?" Tracy turned, seeing Xena wrapped up in Alphie's leash with Alphie standing next to her wagging his tail. 

   Xena huffed, spinning around to free herself from Alphie's trap. Tracy and Patrick laughed at the small girl's misfortune. Xena gestured to the downstairs bathroom and back to Alphie. Tracy looked confused for a moment, before getting it.

"Oh, you going to bathe Alphie? Why don't you get your friends to help you? They're going to stay for dinner." Tracy smiled at the girl, who grinned widely and nodded her head at Patrick. 

"I'll go get the boys, then." Patrick smiled at Tracy and walked out of the front door to the car of rowdy, teenage boys. 

"He seems nice." Tracy commented as she walked back into the kitchen. Xena concluded her uncle wasn't home yet.

   Xena walked Alphie into the bathroom, using most of her strength just to get him through the door. He knew he was going to get a bath, and he wasn't very happy about the idea. Xena filled up the tub halfway with warm water and grabbed the dog shampoo. Luckily, the downstairs bath tub had a shower head sprayer. She liked to think it was for the convenience of bathing a dog as big as Alphie or Rex. 

   Xena had just managed to get both of Alphie's front paws into the tub when the group of boys walked in. This caused Alphie to get very excited and jump away from the tub. Xena, who had been hanging on the dog's neck trying to get him in the tub, fell into the tub and came out sputtering and coughing. Victor was standing on the step ladder in the corner, trying his best to keep the large dog away from him. Henry was laughing very loudly with Belch and Patrick. Xena glared at the three laughing boys, grabbing the sprayer and turning it on. She aimed it directly at them, leading to them screaming in shock and trying to use one another as a shield. Patrick approached Xena quickly, taking the sprayer from her and spraying her with it. After she screamed and laughed for a bit, she managed to get it back from him, turning it off and putting it back in its place. 

 "You want help getting your mutt in the tub?" Patrick laughed. Xena hit him in the shoulder, glaring at him for calling Alphie a mutt. "Fine. Your dog?" Xena smiled and nodded. 

   With Patrick and Henry's help, Alphie was in the tub in no time. Xena bathed Alphie, rinsed him off, and grabbed the hairdryer. Alphie, who had seen the hairdryer, began to jump around wildly. He wasn't harming anyone. He was just rearing up and down barking in a playful manner. Xena plugged up the appliance, aiming it at Alphie, who had come to sit in front of her. Alphie actually enjoyed the hairdryer. Henry had finally managed to get Victor off the step ladder and on the ground. Patrick was staring angrily at Belch, who had viciously tousled his hair with a towel to dry it. Belch was chuckling, shaking his head and rubbing his hair with a towel. 

"Food is on the table, kids!" Tracy shouted from the dining room, where she had set plates for all of them. 

   Xena washed her hands, forcing the boys to do the same. They all entered the dining room smiling. Tracy smiled as well, seeing a freshly bathed Alphie following them. Alphie went and sat next to Rex in their dinner table seats. Rex and Alphie ate at the dining table with them in their own chairs with their own plates. Rex and Alphie both had a homemade dog food mix with the proper ingredients for healthy dogs. Food was already in Rex and Alphie's bowls, but they sat waiting for the signal to eat, staring at Tracy. At dinner, Tracy sat at the seat at the very end of the long table on the right side.

   Usually, Zachary sat next to her, but tonight, He wasn't there. Henry sat in the spot next to Zachary's seat with Belch next to him. Victor sat at the very end of the table, with Patrick next to him. Patrick was obviously sitting next to Xena with her on his left side, across from Henry. Alphie sat directly to Xena's left with Rex on his left. The chair at that end of the table remained empty. 

"Alright boys and girl. Let's eat." As soon as she spoke the words, Alphie and Rex were digging into their plates. The boys awkwardly grabbed helpings of the food Tracy had prepared. 

"How was everyone's day at school?" Tracy questioned as she put some mashed potatoes on her plate. 

   Xena stuck her thumbs up and gave a close-lipped smile with a mouth full of mashed potatoes.

"It was good. We met Xena, so that was pretty fun." Henry smiled to Tracy, who smiled and nodded.

"Xena, why are you in those clothes? Those aren't the clothes you were wearing this morning."

   Xena looked down at the table, playing with her green beans. Tracy looked at her confused and let out a sigh in a sad manner. She came to assume her niece had been the unfortunate victim of some high school bully.

"So, who did it then? I can go get my taser. They'll regret it. That I can promise." Tracy began to get up, but was stopped.

"She already regrets it. Hockstetter gave her quite a stern talking to." Henry laughed. "Her name is Greta Keene. Her dad is the pharmacist."

"You should've beat that girl yourself. You very well could have shown her what for. Hit her with a good ole one-two." Tracy  was no stranger to the abilities Xena had. They were never spoken of for they gave the girl quite the anxiety.

"Xena does hit pretty hard." Patrick, who had been hit by her several times, agreed with Tracy's statement.

"Xena Hazel Dolland! Did you hit this boy?" Tracy made an appalled noise, setting her fork down quickly. "Why on earth would you hit him?" 

"Oh, it's alright. I wouldn't put my seat belt on." Patrick gave a half smile.

"Well, in that case.." She trailed off and threw a roll hitting him in the face. "Always buckle up hoodlum." Tracy smiled as Xena laughed at Patrick's expression.