Working through it

The next day
Crime Scene
7:10pm

  Lastrade came over and asked for our assistance. Of course Holmes jumped at the opportunity, as always. We grabbed our course and went off with the Inspector and his men.

  When we got there, Holmes first examined the body, then the area in which the murder occured. He went through the whole investigation coughing just once. No one thought anything of it. Good.

221b
8:30pm

  When we got back to our flat, Holmes went straight to work, writing down notes and thoughts about the case. After a while he soon started coughing again. I went right to his side to support him . . . and not just figuratively. His legs were getting wobbly and he soon became exhausted and start to sway.

  "I've got you, Holmes. It's alright." I assure him as I wrap his arm around my shoulder and my arm around his waist. "I think it's time you call it a day, Holmes, huh?" I state, gently.
He nods his head in agreement as we make out way to his bedroom.

  We don't bother with his night clothes, (Seeming, it would be too taxing for him) and just get him settled into the bed. "Thank you Watson *Cough!*." "Of course." I look away from him, trying to hold back tears. Not only is he going to die soon, but he has to suffer as well.

  "It's alright Watson." He comforts. I look back at him and nod my head. "Is there anything you need?" I ask, softly. He sighs and closes his eyes. "No, Watson. I am fine now. Thank you." "Alright. If you need anything, you know where to find me. Sleep well Holmes." I turn to leave but stop when he speaks.

  "I am truly sorry Watson." I furrow my eyebrows in confusion and turn around to look at him. "For what ol'boy?" "For *Cough!Cough!Cough!* For leaving you, sooner than I had hoped." I walk to his side of the bed and take his hand in mine. "It's not your fault, dear fellow." "I know. Just want you to know, that I . . . . that I don't want to leave you." I smile at him and Pat his hand. "I know Holmes. But you're not going just yet. We still have some time." "I suppose we do." He smiles back.

  I give his hand a squeeze then start for the door. "Good night ol'boy." I whisper. "Good night, Watson." He whispers back.