Prologue

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. Names, characters, placesbusinesses, events and incidents are either the products of the author's imagination or used in a fictitious manner. Any resemblance to actual persons, living or dead, or actual events is purely coincidental.

Prologue

"Good morning Doc!" Manong guard greeted me with a smile.

"Good morning po!" I greeted back, smiling widely.

It is still hard to believe that after everything happened in the past, I came up with my dream — to become a doctor. I'm still a resident, still alive and kicking. I am currently taking pediatrics residency that typically lasts three years at Racelis Edwards Medical Center. This is actually my third week as a second year resident. The first year wasn't easy for me. There were so many adjustments and frustrations.

Being a medical resident isn't just a piece of a cake. It's really challenging and chaotic! Every step along the process of becoming a doctor is tough.  In terms of physical and mental stress and degree of difficulty, I couldn't agree more. I realized that I should embrace every part of that including the hardships because that will help me become a better physician. 

I woke up early in the morning to go to the gym few walks away from my place. I also grabbed a coffee nearby before going back to my condo. I was planning to make a delicious breakfast for myself but I didn't have enough time to prepare. Just a quick shower and light make up and done! 

I am wearing a white collared button down shirt partnered with brown trousers. I paired it with white shoes, rose gold watch and Prada bag. We'll be having a seminar by 8 and it will be a trouble if late. Once I entered the room, I quickly put my bag on the desk and prepared the things I'll bring at the seminar. While I was fixing my things, I noticed that there was a new table and set of things near my place. 

Oh, I think there's a new resident that will be joining us.

I returned to sanity when someone entered the room. It is Klea, my friend since Med school year. She is a great friend of mine. When I was having a hard time, she was always there for me. She stayed with me when I needed someone to lean on. 

"Hey Dr. Pretty! The seminar is about to start. Let's go!" Klea said in a small panicky voice. I saw her fixing her hair through the mirror.  

"Is there a new resident?" I curiously asked Klea, pointing to the new desk. Whoever that person is, I hope we get along. I want to be friends with everyone in this hospital although may ibang staff na halatang ayaw sa'kin. It's still okay! Tuloy ang life.

"I think so? I just saw it too when I arrived," Klea said, putting something on her face. I was about to go when I tripped to the edge of the table causing the papers placed there to fall. I immediately picked those cause we were really running out of time. 

My eyes widened when I saw a familiar surname on a piece of paper. It's impossible, right? Hindi lang naman siya 'yung may ganitong surname sa mundo.  

"Hey Are you okay?" she worriedly asked. She's done fixing herself , already holding her white coat. She's wearing a simple dress and a pair of heels. We're gonna change into scrubs later after the seminar. 

"Yeah, I'm okay. Mauna ka na I'll just fix this first" I told her, picking the papers. Sadly, I wasn't able to inspect the familiar surname's paper.