Chapter 10

Weeks later, lunchtime
Library, University of Alberta

Nicole noticed Waverly had been leaving her packed lunch again every morning and she had never been happier. The redhead had also started eating them, only then realizing how amazing of a cook was Waverly. She immediately regretted how she'd been avoiding her food before.

The feelings Nicole had towards the brunette intensified through the days that follow. She was hopelessly in love with Waverly and she couldn't help but feel worried where this would get her.

Waverly had been nice to her since then. Actually, they had been nice to each other. Although, they didn't interact that much, she could tell that Waverly was now becoming less than a stranger and more of a friend.

That's why Nicole ended up in the library again, trying to catch up with what she had missed updating in her draft. She hadn't even made progress ever since Waverly had started acting nice towards her. Maybe she really does only write when she's depressed, Nicole thought.

Saturday, late afternoon
Nicole's bedroom

Realizing that she's way past her promised deadline to Professor Dolls, Nicole took the day off one Saturday and continued where she left off on her manuscript. She spent her entire day in her bedroom, typing one word after another on her laptop. When her hands started hurting, Nicole would pause and massage her wrists. Then after a moment or two, she would continue typing again.

The sky outside now looked a bit tinged in red from the sunset. Nicole suddenly stopped as she heard a soft knock on her door. Then a beautiful brunette peered inside, smiling.

"Hi, Nicole." The redhead's stomach did a backflip.

"Hey, Waverly," Nicole greeted, pausing on her laptop.

"Are you busy?" Waverly asked as she waltzed inside the redhead's bedroom. The brunette's eyes travelled to the photos the redhead had on her bedside table.

Quickly saving her work then closing her laptop, Nicole answered, "It depends on why you're asking."

Waverly turned to look at her, the skin around her eyes creases when she smiled. It was a wonderful sight to Nicole.

"I have Yo Yo Ma concert tickets for tonight and Chrissy bailed on me again because she met this guy named Fish. Funny guy, actually. And Wynonna's not in town at the moment... Do you want to go with me?"

Nicole could tell Waverly was rambling nervously as she stated the purpose of her visit in the redhead's bedroom. She stared at her, not because she was confused but because Waverly was one beautiful girl. And Nicole would take any opportunity just to steal a good glance at her. "A Yo Yo Ma concert?"

"He's an amazing and very talented musician. I have always dreamed seeing him perform live. Even though, I have honestly seen his concert videos online but I know it would be different in person.

"I'd never expect him to visit Edmonton of all towns in Canada. So I bought these tickets months ago before high school graduation," Waverly replied. "And now here we are."

"And you want me to go with you?" Nicole clarified, as if she didn't understand in the first place.

Waverly nodded.

"Like a date?" Nicole dragged on, smirking.

Waverly immediately shook her head. "No, no, of course not, in no way of a date, if that makes you uncomfortable, it's okay, I can go on my own..."

Nicole should feel hurt but she decided to laugh about it. "Sure, Waverly. I'll go with you. As long as you also treat me to dinner afterwards."

The redhead had never seen Waverly's red smiling face up close before. Nicole had never realized how strong she was to fight the urge to kiss the brunette until that moment.