A Careful Convergence

10 days later outside of Paris.

Jonathan let his hand carefully run over the imprinting of his initials and the angelic rune on the leather journal before he picked up the letter again Clary had put into the gift box. Ever since he had opened his sister's gift he thought about calling her.

Dear Jonathan,

first of all I want to wish you a very happy birthday, big brother! I hope, you're truly enjoying this day but I'm sure that Zoé and her family are doing their best to make it really special for you. I had to get you this journal when I saw it. I know how much it calms you to write. The whiskey is from Jace. He told me that you had it when you were at the Angel's Share. I hope, the French won't take any offense in it that you skip from their beloved wine to whiskey.

I feel really insecure to write you right now because we haven't spoken in such a long time. The last thing I want is you to feel bothered by me asking you when you will return. I made a horrible mistake and there are no words to describe how sorry I am for showing so much distrust towards you. But I want you to know that no matter what happens, if or when we will see each other again, I'll always be proud to call you my big brother. I'm glad to hear from Zoé once in a while that you feel comfortable around her and her family. You deserve so much to be happy. Since the day I knew about you that's all I ever wanted for you.

Things are going quite well over here though Jace, Izzy and Magnus have me cut me short from the wedding preparations ordering me to relax. I was worried at first but they're handling everything quite well. And Zoé's always a voice of reason when I'm freaking out during a fitting but she might have told you that already. She even brought me pastries the last time and I'm quite jealous you can have these every single day.

Please don't get this wrong but I really miss having my brother around or at least being able to talk to you. I know how much you needed this timeout given everything that had happened and especially after me not believing and supporting you. I hope, you'll be able to let me a part of your life again when you feel that the time is right. There isn't a day that goes by without me thinking of you and wishing you the best.

All my love
Clary

“Still thinking if you should call her?”

Zoé's voice ripped him from his thoughts while she wrapped her arms around his neck from behind.

“Easy to guess. Wouldn't it be weird to just call her after nearly 3 months without having spoken a word?”

“Why would it be? Clary knew you needed time to process all that had happened. And I know, you miss her too. If you feel like it's weird you could call Jace.”

“No, that looks like I'd be afraid to talk with my own sister.”

“Then call her. I'm sure she'll be glad to hear from you judging by what she wrote. Clary had been giving you so much space. When we meet during a fitting, she always waits till I start talking about how we're doing here.”

“Has she asked about the wedding?”

“No, she only said, she would be happy if you would attend but that she supports whatever decision you're going to make. Have you decided yet?”

“Not yet.”

“And that's absolutely okay but you should really call her.”

“I think, you're right.”

“I knew, you were smart,” Zoé chuckled before she kissed him, “I'll leave you to your call. And don't you dare to open the whiskey without me.”