Tafseer Surah Al Maryam - 6

[Surah Maryam - Part 6] A Walk with Maryam (Alayha Salam)

Rewrite of an Article By Qur'an Academy

As we turn another page of Surah Maryam, verses 16-36 allow us a glimpse of the life and character of an exceptional woman; Maryam (alayha salam). She is of the four women who were exclusively praised by Prophet Muhammad ﷺ.

Prophet Muhammad ﷺ said: "Sufficient for you among the women of mankind are Maryam bint 'Imran, Khadijah bint Khuwaylid, Fatimah bint Muhammad, and Asiyah, the wife of Fir'awn." (Tirmidhi)

He also praised her for having reached perfection amongst all women. He ﷺ said:

كَمَلَ مِنْ الرِّجَالِ كَثِيرٌ وَلَمْ يَكْمُلْ مِنْ النِّسَاءِ إِلَّا آسِيَةُ امْرَأَةُ فِرْعَوْنَ وَمَرْيَمُ بِنْتُ عِمْرَانَ

"There were many men who achieved perfection and none were perfect among women except Asiyah, the wife of Firʼawn, and Maryam bint 'Imran."

Source: Ṣaḥīḥ al-Bukhārī 3230, Grade: Muttafaqun Alayhi

Maryam (alayha salam) will be of the leading women in Paradise. She was chosen by Allah for this noble status. The Quran states: "And [mention] when the angels said,"O Mary, indeed Allah has chosen you and purified you and chosen you above the women of the worlds."(Surah Ale Imran; 42)

Allah also presents Maryam(alayha salaam) and Asiyah(alayha salaam), as examples for those who believe(both male and female). It is mentioned in the Holy Qur'an:

And Allah has set forth an example for those who believe: the wife of Firʼawn, when she said,"My Lord! Build for me near You a house in Paradise, and save me from Firʼawn and his deeds, and save me from the wrongdoing people.

And [the example of] Mary, the daughter of Imran, who guarded her chastity,
so We blew into [her garment] through Our Rûh[Jibril, alayhis salaam],
and she testified to the truth of the words of her Lord and [also believed in] His scriptures and she was of the Qânitûn[devoutly obedient].

(Surah At-Tahrim, Ayah 11-12)

Now let's go on a walk with her and learn the tips for success, so we may implement them in our lives and emulate her to earn the pleasure of Allah like she did. We will focus on the verses of Surah Maryam for these lessons.

"And mention, [O Muhammad], in the Book [the story of] Mary, when she withdrew from her family to a place toward the east.

And she took, in seclusion from them, a screen. Then We sent to her Our Angel, and he represented himself to her as a man in all respects.

She said,"Indeed, I seek refuge in the Most Merciful from you, [so leave me], if you should be fearing of Allah."

He said, "I am only the messenger of your Lord to give you [news of] a pure boy."

She said, "How can I have a boy while no man has touched me and I have not been unchaste?"

He said,"Thus [it will be]; your Lord says, 'It is easy for Me, and We will make him a sign to the people and a mercy from Us. And it is a matter [already] decreed.'