9

The day of the Rose's ball came rather quick. Georgiana and I were packing our things in the carriage. The Roses' estate was hours away, so we were going to stay a few days. They invited us to do so. The servants would be caring for Pemberley as Catherine and Mathew decided to come as well.

I wished the day hadn't come so soon as I didn't feel my best. Perhaps breakfast had been slightly undercooked. It wasn't at all anything severe enough to prevent our attendance. It would take a lot more before I even pondered to disappoint my sister.

         As we were on way for the long four hour trek there, Georgiana excitedly spoke of getting to visit the Rose's estate. It was one of the largest in England and every year they had a public ball open to anyone in society. Everyone we knew would be there most likely. Some of our friends, we could only visit at this ball as some lived far away.

        After sharing her excitement, Georgiana looked at me in concern and spoke, "Are you well? You don't seem quite as perked up as usual." 

           "It's just a slight stomachache. It was probably something I ate earlier." I explained. The crowded coach, the chill in the air and the bumpy road were contributing to my ailment.

     "The food at the Rose's will be good and should make it better." She assured. Catherine was sitting beside me as she was so insistent to before we left. She nudged me to sit straight, "You had better do anything you can to not appear at all unwell. No lady will find you favourable if they think you've caught tuberculosis."

"That doesn't even compare. We are in a carriage, not a dining hall, I can relax if need be." I rested my head on the window to nap. Mathew told me, "Your Aunt has a point. You need to do what you must to look quaint and chipper."

"What if Elisabeth is there?" Georgiana teased. I blushed in embarrassment but then felt my heart drop as Catherine pried, "Who is this Elisabeth!?"

"No one." I blurted.

"A Bennet." Uncle sneered, "He confessed his affections of her to me."

"Please just leave this conversation for after we get back." I begged. Catherine had her most hostile glare at me. She snapped between her clenched teeth, "You are a disappointment to my family line. I warned you about them at the Crawford ball. You deliberately disobeyed me. Is that the reason you called off that engagement to Sofia?"

"No, I had other reasons. Please, understand, you know what love is don't you? I love Liz, I know it, I can't keep fighting about it. I can't fight off what I feel deeply and ardently." I breathed a bit after my heartfelt speech. Catherine refused to say anything. Nor did anyone else speak. This was going to be a long carriage ride.
~~~

The long tedious ride finally paid off as the carriage entered the drive that led to the Roses' estate. The large mansion came into sight through the finely trimmed trees that lined the road. We arrived to the front gates at the fourteenth hour.

"Just in time for tea." Georgiana looked out the window in thrill. I craved a cuppa myself, hoping it would lift my mood for the ball tonight. People in the next hours would be all over this place as the acres contained many parks and gardens. They were decorated with structures in the aesthetic of old Greek.

Some servants helped unload our luggage as the Rose family came to greet us. Mrs. Rose greeted the ladies first with hugs as Mr. Rose came to Uncle and I with a bow. Their three children were not yet teenagers. They gave quick greets then ran around in play. Mrs. Rose then greeted me. I took her hand to politely kiss it, but she unexpectedly gave a tight hug instead. She then told me while still clinging to me, "I know it's only been a year but I swear you've grown. In maturity. Your poor father. To think only a year has past that he had been here. You are growing in alike to him."

"It's nice to see you as well." I lightly hugged back. She finally let go after the rather awkwardly long hug. I knew she had grief over my father. Last year when we came, there was some talk between a few guests I overheard. Mrs. Rose had eyed my father throughout the entire night of the ball. I had noticed it as well, but didn't think much of it. My father had no one at the time so I thought it just usual feelings of longing. He had sense and knew any real relationship to Mrs. Rose would deem unpractical by obvious circumstance.

Mr. Rose gazed at me after her comment on me being alike to my father. He said nothing, but we all subconsciously knew each other's thoughts. Mrs. Rose then broke our thoughts by stating, "We have tea ready, we should all go in while it's freshly brewed."

Mathew took Catherine's arm to escort in with her, Georgiana playfully followed with the eldest of the Rose daughters. The younger boy and girl raced each other in. Mr. Rose walked to Mrs. Rose, but she quickly took my arm and suggested, "I'll escort you in." She walked with me up the front stairs. Mr. Rose trailed behind us. I acted as neutral as possible.

When we walked into the dining hall, the tea trays were full of lunch foods and the aroma of fresh tea leaves filled the room. Mrs. Rose seated me beside her. Georgiana took the seat on her other side. After everyone took a spot, we started tea. Mrs. Rose explained, "The teas I have are things I've been brewing myself."

"You brew your own tea?" Catherine questioned.

"Yes, it is quite fun if you do it so. Mr. Rose claims I've turned a servant's job into an art, but there is a art in brewing the correct leaves and flavours together. Georgiana, I'd like to show you my tea collection when there is time. I've made many combinations that no other house I've visited dared to mix. This tea I made today is chamomile with vanilla."

As I sipped, it's sweetness warmed my throat. Vanilla was a rare commodity and expensive, so her tea mix wouldn't be in any houses around. She added to me, "You're welcome to join us too Darcy."

"Please, call him Mr. Darcy," Mr. Rose corrected.

"I would like to," I began, "but I assume my other friends should be arriving shortly, some I've not seen in a year."

"Oh yes right, I do understand. Georgiana will be obliged to look at the teas. Maybe I can teach her a few things and she can share it with you."

"That sounds good." I nodded to her. Her excitement slightly had dulled at my answer. Tea time carried on with talk of other various things. As the sixteenth hour drew near, the other guests began to arrive. The ball was soon to begin.