Carpet

This was her first time inside the Slytherin common room and at first, it was honestly unsettling. It was unnaturally cold in there and green light lit up the room from the lanterns that were hung by chains from the ceiling. The walls and floor were made of stone and built into one of the walls was an elaborately carved fireplace, giving the center of the room where the heat emitted warmth. The furniture was fancily detailed and looked very expensive to her. Plenty of matching tables and chairs were set up with chess games and other activities, so people had places to sit and things to do when they weren't in class. Johanna spotted the chaise lounge sofa placed near the fire and thought about how nice it would be to fall asleep in front of the fire in the dead of winter, wrapped in a blanket on it's delicate velvet cushions. As she was noticing this, something else caught her eye and she felt herself gawking at it once she figured out what it was.

In a row on the wall was what looked to be at least eight windows, all with old unbreakable stained glass that kept water from spilling into the room. Something huge in the water was moving, and after eyeballing it for a moment, the thing peered in at her and then swam away as quickly as it had appeared. It had been the eye of a giant squid that inhabited the lake that had been peering inside at the new students it had never seen before. The windows gave a beautiful underwater view of the lake and though you couldn't see too far through the murky waters, it was teeming with life below the surface.

"They say sometimes if you're lucky, a mermaid might come by and sing for the students. They only sound good under water." A girl said to someone next to her and as Johanna overheard this, she hoped that if she were lucky, maybe she would get to see a mermaid. The older boy who led them down the staircase and to the common room had long white blonde hair and sharp facial features. His icy grey eyes pierced through all of them like daggers.

"Alright, this is the Slytherin Common Room. To your left is the staircase for the boys dormitories and on the right are the girls. And don't even think about going up the wrong staircase, because you won't be able to, even if you tried."

The students now started to go about the room and explore, some even going to look out the window like they were at an aquarium. Johanna on the other hand, wanted to go and check out where she'd be sleeping at. She started for the staircase, when suddenly, the white blonde haired boy stepped in front of her,

"Going so soon? Why don't you stay behind? Relax a little. This is your first year here isn't it? Even though you aren't a first year..."

His icy grey stare made a cold chill go through out her body and she nodded her head nervously,

"Just thought I'd get my things organized."

He was much older than most of the other students. This was obviously his last year here before he graduated and judging by how he led the first years around the common room, he was more than likely either a Prefect or quite possibly Head Boy.

"You know, you'll never get far in Slytherin with a bunch of Gryffindor's as your friend. Take it from me. I'm a Prefect."

She didn't even have to guess. His ego was already so inflated that she didn't even need to ask.

"I think I know how to pick my own friends-"

"Don't waste your time, Lucius. She's a half blood anyways. She'll never fit in." Emma called from across the room and Johanna felt herself go up the stairs before he even had time to respond.