Bonus Chapter - TrueBorn

Just for fun...

This is the 'conversation' Lyri had with Willa after In Marked her. She is trying to explain mates and mating.

Lyri

She is wild. Pacing around my office like a caged tiger. No... that's not quite it. It's more... well, as if Inuit adopted a tiger and she's choosing to stay... for now. Or, until she decides to maul her 'master.'

Speaking of eating...

I take a deep breath. "I want to explain mates to you, sweetie."

Eyes of the brightest, lightest, honey brown I've ever seen slide my way. Nothing shows on her face. A wild tiger, contemplating how easy I would be to devour.

"Inuit... he is your mate. And you are his."

I pause, thinking. All the legends and the stories, the knowledge that wolves grow up knowing... she knows none of it. I can tell by the blankness in her stare. She doesn't know what a mate is. Not at all.

I really loathe to tell her about the goddess and her plans for us. I don't even want to tell her the common stories about mates. My mate certainly went sour. Well, to be truthful, Daan was always the horror in my story.

Then again, I can't complain about my males. I wouldn't trade them for anything, even a goddess-given mate.

But this creature, with In's Mark red and raw just above her collarbone, needs to know why he is so obsessed with her. She needs to understand why she is so attracted to him.

"Mates are..." my voice trails off... again! I just can't. I can't spout the drivel that I no longer really believe in, myself.

"Wolves are told," I begin again, "of a story. Of the first pack... long ago and far away." I look out of the window, not seeing the leaves swaying in the trees, the bright blue sky, just seeing the wolves, raw and untamed, our ancestors.

"They had no truemates. Not yet," I tell her softly. Sometimes... I wish we still didn't have truemates. "We had potential mates. Wolves could follow their hearts and there was always hope of another chance if you lost your first bonded."

"Three children were born," I whisper, trying to remember Luna Gloria's story. I close my eyes, picturing the blue-flowered curtains, the strong taste of mint tea, the soft clink of the spoon against the edges of the tiny porcelain cup. "An alphason... stronger than any before. A king amongst wolves. An alphadaughter of unparalleled beauty and poise, and a lowly omega female child." I take a deep breath, thinking.

"The Alphason and Alphadaughter were pledged to be mated to each other, nearly from birth. The two Alphas asked the goddess to create a strong bond between their pups. It was deemed so. A pairing, made in the heavens," I muse softly. Luna Gloria had told me this story I think to comfort me, to make me realize that my story wasn't so terrible, after all.

"The goddess poured a small part of her own essence into each pup wolf. A strong bond, unbreakable. More than a potential bond."

"A prophecy... that's a story that tells the future..." I think she snickers at me, but I can't tell. "The greatest male would be given a female of worth beyond measure. Everyone had their own interpretation of that, I imagine," I add thoughtfully.

"When the alphason came to court his intended mate, he saw the omega female. He was intrigued by her beauty, by her strength. He found the alphadaughter to be pretty, but empty. He wanted the omega. He felt a bond with her, stronger than the one he felt with his intended mate. It was wrong, a mistake, but he couldn't help but be intrigued."