Chapter 14: Deceptive Surroundings

Hiram confessed to his inner self that the way he expressed concern for Adaline wasn't the best option he could've chosen. The truth was that hearing of Adaline's love life did something inside him. It wasn't positive – he didn't know what it was, it was such a hazy, distorted feeling. At first, Hiram believed it to be annoyance at Adaline's ignorance or her sensitivity to the facts she was presented with. Deep down, he knew that that was false. He begrudgingly heeded his sister Isobel's words and followed through with the apology. He wanted to sound genuine, but forcing himself to apologise was like walking against an ongoing swoosh of wind going in the opposite direction.

"Adaline", he had called out. As soon as she saw him, she flushed and headed the opposite direction. Adaline had shrunken into herself, shoulders hunched over and head bent down, her eyes glued to the ground before her. Some force coiled itself around his chest. How was he going to justify his behaviour? Or a better question: how would he be able to preserve both their friendship and his pride? Hiram was certain none of the fault was his, but he couldn't help thinking his previous behaviour monstrous when faced with the aftermath and this timid little woman.

"Wait!" And why is it so difficult to admit you're in the wrong? He could easily spend time with Ben and his crew of friends, but couldn't show he cared for someone of his own social standing.

"No. I know I made mistakes in my love life – grave ones – but you have no right to make it your business when I didn't ask for you to involve yourself." She'd turned around, but clung to herself like she was supporting herself.

"I didn't me- I was trying to warn you."

"What did I just say?"

"It's just because you're so sensitive," he spat out.

"Maybe you should try it sometime! My mistake, but I thought you were going to say you were sorry!" she fumed.

Pause. Adaline rose her hands to her hips, and Hiram crossed his arms and furrowed his brow.

"I'm sorry. You know I didn't mean to get into this mess; I didn't mean to make you upset," Hiram continued.

"I guess I'll accept whatever that is... That's an apology?" Adaline bent her mouth into a flash of a smile, just as quickly back to stern disappointment. Hiram breathed a huff of relief.

*****

Back at the old shambled Carter house, Isobel continued scolding and disapproval of her brother's habits. Hiram groaned to himself, readying for the lecture he knew was coming.

"Hiram, I've been thinking lately, an-"

"Oh, Isobel. Nothing good can come of that."

"Shush, Hiram. You barely ever leave the house. I know that your injury has been an obstacle in your work and social life, but now you're nearing a recovery. You should come to the church dance. It's-" Isobel was once again interrupted.

"Oh, come off it!"

"I'm completely serious. Please come," she pleaded, hanging off his arm in desperation.

"No."

"Yes."

"On the condition that you stop nagging me incessantly."

Isobel clapped her hands with joy and jumped up to kiss his cheek.

"There's no need to be all in a flutter about things. Church dances are silly and unnecessary. Mostly about proving to everyone that you're involved in the church, and showing off that you have a partner to dance with," he argued.

"Oh, nonsense! The funds raised from the church dance go towards the education of orphaned children in Callabucor. And you're so fond of social justice and equality," she went on. Hiram Carter nodded slowly. She really knew how to trap him into agreeance.