Part 1- We're the Pouges

"Hey Bitches." I stroll up to the under-construction house that my brother and our friends are hanging out at.

"That's what a three-story fall to the deck?" Professor Pope says.

"I give you a one in three chance of survival."

"Shush Haley."

"They're going to have Japanese toilets and towel warmers. This used to be a turtle habitat." an angry Kiara says as she walks out of the house.

"Don't spill that beer. I'm not giving you another one" 

"Woah. Oh, shit." John B opens his arms wishing for the bottle to come magically floating back up to him.

"Dumbass," I look up at my idiot brother.

"Hey, security's here."

"Boys are early today," I say running through the empty house.

"Come on Humpty dumpty, lets roll...Gary is that you?" JJ says pulling on the back of my brother's shirt.

"Gary, good to see you man," I say hanging out of the van. I grab JJ's hand and pull him into the van. He falls on top of me and I'm not going to lie, I don't hate it. "Woah woah woah. No screwing around with my sister JJ." "Shut up man." JJ and I sit next to each other as always, as I start getting tired I lay my head on his lap as he plays with my hair, and I draw on his leg.

The Outer Banks, paradise on Earth. The sort of place where you either have two jobs or two houses. Two tribes, one island. There's figure eight, the rich side of the island. Home of the Kooks. So guess where we don't live. And then, this is the south side or the Cut. Home of the working class who make a living busing table, cleaning yachts, running charters. The natural habitat of... drum roll please... the pouges. That's us pouges, pougies, the throwaway fish, lowest member of the food chain. So, the downside of pouge life we're ignored and neglected. The upside of pouge life were ignored and neglected. Which means we do whatever we want, whenever we want. First off is JJ, my brother's best friend since the third grade. He's about as local as they come. Latest in a long line of fishing, drinking, smuggling, vendetta-holding salt-lifers who made their living off the water. Best surfer I know. Just don't tell him I said that. Mild kleptomaniac and a future tax cheat. And that's Kiara, or Kie, as we call her. When not saving turtles, or listening to Marley, or getting a dolphin tattoo, she hangs out with us. I'm not really sure why though. So, she's a rich kid, actually. Her family owns The Wreck, this Outer Banks institution. Total cash cow with the tourists. You know, I'm not really sure how her parents feel about us. And that's Pope, the brains of the operation... finalist for the Lucas T. Vanderhorst Merit Scholarship. And the smartest person I know. A little bit of a weirdo. His father's legendary character, Heyward. Anything you wanted on the island, Heyward could get for you. Now, I'm not sure Heyward knew what to make of his oddball son, but it didn't matter. He was a Pogue, just like the rest of us. And then there's my brother John B, younger by almost 2 years. It's always been me, him, and my dad. But since my dad has gone missing he hasn't been himself lately. He's the leader of the group and a little bit of an idiot, but I love him. Always have always will. So, that's my crew. And that's me, Haley Routledge. And this is where I live with my brother. An old fish shack on the marsh. The Château, as my dad used to call it. There's Dad. He disappeared at sea nine months ago, looking for a shipwreck. Who disappears at sea these days? We miss him. And then there's Mom. She split when I was 5. Last I heard, she was in Colorado. I think it was Colorado. That's Uncle T. Since Dad's vanished, he's supposedly our legal guardian. At the moment, he's in Mississippi, building houses, which means it's just me and my brother right now, on our own, hangin' out with our friends.

I wake up to JJ carrying me inside bridal style and I just snuggle into him more. He kisses my head and leaves. We've always flirted but we aren't together, he's my best friend, nothing more, nothing less. Just as I'm starting to get settled into bed John B comes into my room. "Yo can we talk?"

"Yea what's up?"

"What was going on with you and JJ?"

"Nothings going on with me and JJ,"

"I saw you two today, you were being a lot more disgusting than usual."

"We're just friends John. Why is the only food we have moldy bread?" I ask looking at the bright green loaf.

"Don't try to change the subject...do you like him?"

"What??"

"Do you like him?"

"Of course I do, damn it JB I love him. He's my best friend, of course, I love him."

"But you don't love him, love him?"

"You're annoying."

"Just answer the god damn question."

"Maybe, I don't know... No! No, of course, I don't" I walk outside and look at the boat my brother likes to call the "HMS POUGE" "I'M TAKING THE BOAT JOHN"

"The fuck you are." He says sprinting outside

"Byeeee" by now I'm already on the water, "I'll be back I promise." What John said got me thinking, what does go on with me and JJ? We're just friends...I think. No, no pouge on pouge macking. I was pulled out of my thoughts to hear JJ yelling at me. "Routledge! Slow down!"

"Hey JJ-"

"Oh wait wrong Routledge, but hey." We just chilled out for about an hour when out of nowhere a storm starting rolling in, Hurricane Agatha, she was feisty. When the boat started rocking JJ stood up and grabbed my waist keeping me steady. I mean, I wasn't going to pull away, he was warm in the cold air, and plus he's a big teddy bear. Once we get back to the house me and JJ walk in side-by-side.

"Where were you?"

"Chill out dad."

"Oop," JJ says as he is sitting on the pullout bed.

"Well just because you're my brother doesn't mean you have to check on me, I'm not a little kid anymore John B." JJ pulls me onto his lap, wraps his arms around my waist and rest his head on my shoulder. I lean my head against his and put my hands against his.

"I think it kinda does."

"If you're going to act like this just date already," Kie says as she walks in.

"No pouge on pouge macking Kie," JJ says, something I never thought he would say.

"I wish though," I whisper

"What did you say," JJ asks looking at me, not bothering to move from the position we were so naturally sitting in.

"Oh, nothing." I can't be saying things like that, I don't even know where that came from, I've never liked JJ, I can't like JJ. All thanks to that stupid rule about no pouge macking, that oh yea, my brother made up. And also I just can't like JJ he would never commit to being in a relationship. But with feelings like these, this is going to be a crazy summer.

A/n part one!!! I'm hoping to update every day, but I hope you like it!!!